Man had his ipad stolen and finger ripped off his hand

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Man had his ipad stolen and finger ripped off his hand
Thieves Take Man's Finger With His IPad - Technology News Story - WJAC Johnstown

A pair of crooked thieves snatched a Colorado man's iPad - along with his pinky.

Former New Jersey resident Bill Jordan had picked up the highly sought after Apple gadget for a co-worker when the incident occurred last week, CBS4 in Denver reported.

The 59-year-old had left the Apple store at the Cherry Creek Mall when, according to surveillance video, he was followed by two young men. As he approached the parking lot, he felt a tug on his arm.

"[The man] was almost sitting on the ground he was pulling so hard and it was still tied around my fingers," Jordan said.

"Then finally he gave it one big jerk, and that's when he stripped the skin off my pinky," he said.

The skin and tendons were ripped away from the small finger on his left hand. The damage was so severe, a hand surgeon told the Aurora, Colo., resident his pinky would need to be amputated.

"It's like a bad dream," Jordan told the local news channel, all for a "simple piece of apparatus that'll be junk in a couple of years."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Wow! Those are the kind of people that need to be locked up and have their fingers ripped off one by one with pliers!

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Now now, an eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Yea read that this am, lol and the iPad will be a flop lol

Reaction score
I'm sorry guys but the victim was also stupid to struggle with them. What's the point? I know it's lots of money but see what happened. Wasn't worth his pinky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm sorry guys but the victim was also stupid to struggle with them. What's the point? I know it's lots of money but see what happened. Wasn't worth his pinky.

Stupid for trying to protect something that is his? LOL!!! So, what do you call someone who cant stand up for himself?? A wuss!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G

Sounds like he just had the string wrapped around his hand. Ultimately, the injury done to the guy is the fault of the criminals regardless of whether or not he fought back. Buy doing what they did, they are responsible for creating an inherently dangerous situation, and any injury that happened in the situation they created, is their fault.

But seriously, I don't get your mentality.... just give in to the criminals to protect yourself? Not hardly...criminals definitely go for the people that they think won't fight back, which is why they waited and attacked on old guy. Being classified as someone who won't fight back makes you a **** of a lot more likely to be assaulted/robbed then someone who's not.

At this point, they're not only on the hook for felony theft, but assault with grievous bodily harm. Hope they catch the guys and throw them in jail for a long time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Should have had a concealed weapons permit. The thief would have been staring down the barrel of a Glock.

Reaction score
Sounds like he just had the string wrapped around his hand. Ultimately, the injury done to the guy is the fault of the criminals regardless of whether or not he fought back. Buy doing what they did, they are responsible for creating an inherently dangerous situation, and any injury that happened in the situation they created, is their fault.

But seriously, I don't get your mentality.... just give in to the criminals to protect yourself? Not hardly...criminals definitely go for the people that they think won't fight back, which is why they waited and attacked on old guy. Being classified as someone who won't fight back makes you a **** of a lot more likely to be assaulted/robbed then someone who's not.

At this point, they're not only on the hook for felony theft, but assault with grievous bodily harm. Hope they catch the guys and throw them in jail for a long time.

I've got mugged before, and when I tried to struggle the other guys (they always outnumber you anyways) just got even more aggressive and started to pull up knives and other stuff like that. Come on, it's a gadget, I won't risk my life or even my pinky for a gadget. It's not worth it.

And yes I would give in to criminals for an iPad, or a bike, or a car. These are just objects. Now, if they would attack a friend/significant other/relative, that would be a total different story.

They just wanted the iPad! I know you guys LOVE it but come on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I've got mugged before, and when I tried to struggle the other guys (they always outnumber you anyways) just got even more aggressive and started to pull up knives and other stuff like that. Come on, it's a gadget, I won't risk my life or even my pinky for a gadget. It's not worth it.

Just my 2 cents anyways.

That's nuts. You can't let people push you around like that... I don't know maybe it's just me, But that's why I carry a loaded hand gun on me at all times.

Reaction score
That's nuts. You can't let people push you around like that... I don't know maybe it's just me, But that's why I carry a loaded hand gun on me at all times.

I don't carry a gun. And you have to balance between your life and an iPad. Think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't carry a gun. And you have to balance between your life and an iPad. Think.

I do, The balance is called a gun. To each his own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
@Voony, Let's go shopping together. You guy in and buy the stuff and you can just come out and give it to me. :) Seriously, it is human nature to fight back. It doesn't matter to me if it is material or not, the thug is going to get hurt in the process that I can promise. I may lose my item, but he isn't getting away without some damage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G

And yes I would give in to criminals for an iPad, or a bike, or a car. These are just objects. Now, if they would attack a friend/significant other/relative, that would be a total different story.

They just wanted the iPad! I know you guys LOVE it but come on...

Oh well, I guess I can see your point. Thing is, from what I've read, the guy didn't really fight back, he was in the parking lot, punks come up and grab it...his first response is to hold on, they pull harder and when he loses his grip, the string on the bag that he had wrapped around his hand tightened up on his little finger and ripped most of the tissue off.

His response to what happened?

"I hope you understand what you've done to my life and my family's life for a simple piece of apparatus that'll be junk in a couple of years."

It wasn't even his iPad, he was picking it up for a friend. Ultimately, they were trying to do a snatch and run, but the string caught the guys finger, so they basically pulled it off. I don't think he ever consciously chose to fight back, just reacted in an instant before he had time to think. So whatever side you come down on with the fight back/passively accept it, the guy never had a chance to do either. The criminals created a situation that lead to his injury, and it can't be blamed on anyone else.

Reaction score
@Voony, Let's go shopping together. You guy in and buy the stuff and you can just come out and give it to me. :) Seriously, it is human nature to fight back. It doesn't matter to me if it is material or not, the thug is going to get hurt in the process that I can promise. I may lose my item, but he isn't getting away without some damage.

To each his own :Evil: Trust me I don't like when someone wants to take something that is mine, but I just think it's not worth risking too much to protect a gadget - AS MUCH AS I LIKE THE iPAD! lol...

Haven't you read/heard too many stories about a guy getting killed because it didn't want to give away his pack of cigarettes or jacket or phone? Come on, it happens everyday and I don't want that to happen to me. Especially to protect an inanimate object :Smirk:

Again, to each his own. If you have the gun, good for you. I hope you won't mug me aha.

Reaction score
Oh well, I guess I can see your point. Thing is, from what I've read, the guy didn't really fight back, he was in the parking lot, punks come up and grab it...his first response is to hold on, they pull harder and when he loses his grip, the string on the bag that he had wrapped around his hand tightened up on his little finger and ripped most of the tissue off.

His response to what happened?

It wasn't even his iPad, he was picking it up for a friend. Ultimately, they were trying to do a snatch and run, but the string caught the guys finger, so they basically pulled it off. I don't think he ever consciously chose to fight back, just reacted in an instant before he had time to think.

You said it all quoting the guy's respone.

C

chas_m

Should have had a concealed weapons permit. The thief would have been staring down the barrel of a Glock.

Yes, because killing someone for wanting to steal a $500 device is exactly the right level of punishment. :Not-Amused:

I know I'm fantastically accurate with my Glock when I only have one hand free and someone is yanking on me.

Gun nuts ... everybody focuses on the "gun" part, but the "nut" is the real problem ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, because killing someone for wanting to steal a $500 device is exactly the right level of punishment. :Not-Amused:

I know I'm fantastically accurate with my Glock when I only have one hand free and someone is yanking on me.

Gun nuts ... everybody focuses on the "gun" part, but the "nut" is the real problem ...

Unfortunately it's the world we live in, In America it's protected by the constitution I wouldn't expect a foreigner to understand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
bargsbeer you read my mind. First thing I thought of thats when I scrolled down more and read your post about CCW. :)

No one said to shoot the criminals and kill them now. :) The simple sight of a firearm should make the criminals think twice and run off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.