• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

widescreen ibook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4 GHz iMac w/ 4GB RAM & 320GB HD
I've seen on some other sites that a widescreen ibook could be available this fall. when do you guys expect apple to announce an upgrade to the ibook?

OP
TomyDingo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dexter1912 said:
it will probably come when the intel jump takes place

so not until 2007?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
the first Intel Macs will come in 2006. The lack of a mobile G5 and an ageing G4 tells me that the iBooks and PowerBooks will probably be within the first ones to get Intels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Yeah, in 2006, I'll take a fatefull couple hour drive to my nearest Apple Store. And I will try out the Intel powerbooks, and if I like them, and notice a big difference, my new 17" 1.67 Ghz G4 Powerbook will get sold, and the intel version will become my new lappy. And if I'm not incredibly awestruck by them, well, my G4 still has a few years in it. When I look that my friends 366 Mhz G3 iBook with 128 mb ram, can actually run panther at a decent speed, I am sure my Powerbook will last for a long time too.

OP
TomyDingo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm afraid to buy an ibook now if it's going to be kind of outdated in a couple months. i also don't want to wait until next year to get one either...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Just do it. Macs have a great resale value even after they get a couple years old. if u want to upgrade when the intel models come out, you won't lose much money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Do not buy an iBook now. It has been 232 days since they were last updated (they usually go every 158 days) so there is a very good chance of an update in the near future. I would not expect a widescreen iBook because the Widescreen is one of the selling points for the PowerBook

Reaction score
I bought the ibooks right after the last time they were updated...I love being able to say I have the newest version...hehe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
smeshy123 said:
I bought the ibooks right after the last time they were updated...I love being able to say I have the newest version...hehe

same with me and my powerbook! I have the newest top of the line powerbook! so ha! lol

M

mangoSharingan

Yea, a new iBook update should be out in the summer but don't hold your breath for a widescreen one. Probably will be out in 2006 along with any chance of a G5 one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
looks like an Intel one now, I don't think the G5 will ever be put into the portables line...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
trpnmonkey41 said:
Do not buy an iBook now. It has been 232 days since they were last updated (they usually go every 158 days) so there is a very good chance of an update in the near future. I would not expect a widescreen iBook because the Widescreen is one of the selling points for the PowerBook

wouldnt more upgrades to the ibook start pushing it near the powerbook??? i know there are many differences but the speed seems to be getting close, upgrade the ibook video card and it is getting close the the pb...then whats the differences between the two 'books?? (note this is a bit of a generalization i didnt bother to go through all the numbers this is just off the top of my head)
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Powerbook line is also due for an upgrade. The last one was pretty small (all though it was enough for me to buy one). so they both get upgraded, the iBook and Powerbook remain the same distance apart

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.