LaCie does not mount on first shot...

C

code777

Just recently it seems like everytime I turn on my LaCie it does not mount to the desktop. I have to turn it off and turn it on and then it mounts. Ideas?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If t=your system has not been rebooted in a log time. Try a reboot. that nt resolve the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I think the reboot will help, but mac has said that their panther operating sytem is having problems with lacie disks. The panther operating system is causing the disks to get erased.

OP
C

code777

well i'm on Tiger and well reboot doesn't help. every once in a while if i turn on the LaCie it does not mount. any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I am looking into purchasing a backup hard drive and I read a lot on Lacies and it sounds like this is a common problem, plus the disks going bad and so forth, plus it sounds like LaCie support bites.. I would take it back and have them replace it.

OP
C

code777

easier said than done but we'll see what happens. Yeah LaCie support is poor. Well through email it is at least. Its always a "cut and paste" response. I don't think anyone really reads them and tries to troubleshoot really. Oh well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
I just bought a new 250GB USB 2.0 LaCie the other day and I'm having the same problem with Tiger. I'm rather new to Mac and of the few reviews I had read of LaCie they were all good. I might be able to return it but should I really? And if so, what would you guys recommend that is in the similar price range that's has the same amount of storage? Thanks in advance for any help.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you return it get one with a firewire port. I have never had a problem with any disk that have firewire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
odd, I have the lacie d2 triple interface 160 gb, no problems, though when I first got it, it worked a few hours and died, that was on friday, I had my new one by monday, no problems. as far as problems mounting I have had no problems at all, even their email responses were not cut & paste, maybe I was lucky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am purchasing the Western Digital 250GB Hard drive. I have a WD and so far it has worked beautiuflly for me. The only problem with it is that it does not have an off button so you have to unpplug it, otherwise it glows and it just plain looks kewl and works well :)

I purchased from http://www.compuplus.com for about $220, best price that I could find for a good 250GB drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I have the LaCie Porsche 250gb hard drive and haven't had a single problem with it. Mounts fine everytime and has shown no signs of failing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah the readups I did, did not say anything about the Porsche ones. There was just too much stuff about LaCie drives failing for me to feel like I should purchase a LaCie, so i went with what I knew worked well :)

OP
C

code777

well I'm still having issues. It worked fine in 10.3.9 and in 10.4 but 10.4.1 it does this. No idea. I have to turn it off and turn it back on to make it mount. I hope this is not a sign that it is failing. The thing is only 3 months old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its not failing, its probably a bug in the update thats affecting the drive mounting. if it doesn't mount the first time, can you use disk utility to mount it?

OP
C

code777

Macman said:
its not failing, its probably a bug in the update thats affecting the drive mounting. if it doesn't mount the first time, can you use disk utility to mount it?

hey macman
u know i never thought of that! :dummy:

next time i'll give it a try, i know DU sees the drive but its just not mounted... thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
push the on button on the hd, if it doesn't mount, open disk utility in utilities folder, it should appear in the list on the left , select it and click the mount button on the toolbar and it should mount.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.