• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can anyone help me with imovie 08??

Reaction score
Hiya! I was just wondering if someone could help? I have produced a movie using jpg stills to make a stop frame animation, but when I try to add in the transitions from scene to scene, it adds them in as 0.1 second, and no matter how many times I try and change the transition time it just doesn't work. So at the moment the transition time is so quick you can't actually see it at all. If any one could help, that'd be ace. I have literally tried everything. Also, upgrading is not an option!
Thanks so much in advance.
X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Are you double-clicking on the transition in the Project pane? In other words, add the transition between two clips in the upper pane, then double click on it to bring up an inspector that lets you change the transition's duration.

In the future, it would help to know exactly how you're going about doing things. For instance, I don't know if you're trying to change the transition length before adding it to the project, which probably wouldn't work.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you!
I am inserting the transition inbetween photo clips and then trying to change the duration of the transitions. I have trieddouble clicking on them to change the duration but this just plays the film. I have used cmd J to bring up the preferences and ctrl clicked on the transition whilst highlighted to change the transition times but all to no avail. I don't know what else I can try??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Which version of iMovie are you using? Command J doesn't bring up preferences in iMovie '09, it brings up the aspect ratio box. Are you sure you're double clicking directly on the transition itself? The playhead does move and scrub through the video along with the mouse pointer, you just need to stop and double click directly on the the transition itself. Are you doing things exactly as shown in this short video?
Apple - iLife - Find out how to use iLife applications on the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
How long is each picture on each side of the transition set to appear? For a 4 second transition, each picture would have to be set to display for at least 4 seconds each, maybe a few frames more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good call, xstep!

If the photos' durations aren't long enough, they could be getting used up by the transition effect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
That's actually what I was gonna suggest to look at ;) I'd say either:

1) make the images that are at the transition long enough for the transition (ugly as it will be a freezeframe transition

2) Create your stop motion animation in sections - create a complete section and export it, create the next section and export it., repeat for each of the segments that would occur between transitions. Then import all of those segments of (now video) into iMovie and use transitions between the segments.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.