• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

A few more published Mac + Intel info

• Thread starter xthisisRomancex
  • Start date
X

xthisisRomancex

Tuesday June 07, 2005 08:30 PM EST
Posted by arn

As readers digest yesterday's announcement about Apple's move to Intel. Here are some notes gathered about the upcoming transition.

- It appears Rosetta, Apple's Intel-Mac PowerPC emulator which was demonstrated at WWDC does not support AltiVec (Velocity Engine) according to Game developers.

- The new Intel-Macs may likely support Windows in a dual-boot capacity, assuming Microsoft provides software support:
Apple also confirmed that they would not stop customers from running Windows on the Intel-based Mac, although the Mac OS will not run on another PC.

Alternatively, Windows could potentially be run in a window under Mac OS X in a Virtual PC-type environment (not emulated, at full speed). Older users may realize this may cause some problems with potential software development. It has been said that one large reason for the demise of IBM's OS/2 was due to its support of Windows applications and the ability to dual boot into Windows. Developers were said to be reluctant to spend time on OS/2 specific applications when OS/2 users could typically also run Windows.

- Rosetta will not support programs written for Mac OS 8 or OS 9. Schiller is quoted as saying that no definitive plans to address Classic mode support have been made but "it's certainly not very high on the priority list."

- Trivia: Apple has recycled the name "Rosetta". It was previously used as their in-house handwriting recognizer for the Newton.

- Don't expect benchmarks soon. The developer's transition kit agreement which provides a PowerMac with an Intel processor for $999 has many conditions. One including:
You also agree not to make any changes or alterations to the Developer Transition System, not to publish or release the results of any benchmark tests run on the Developer Transition System...

macrumors.com

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
OP
J

jdmiller82

**** no I wont go. PowerPC to the core! I switched to Apple and now they want me to switch back??? No thanks...

OP
A

adamxj2

does this mean my $5000 dollar computer will be worthless when this happens???
It wont run my apps and I will have to by a new one??
If so I am beginning to get frustrated.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
adamxj2 said:
does this mean my $5000 dollar computer will be worthless when this happens???
It wont run my apps and I will have to by a new one??
If so I am beginning to get frustrated.

Actually it will probably end up being worth more when people discover how awful the Intel powered ones are. ;)

Why would it suddenly stop running your apps?

I've got a 1980's ARM based machine that still runs all it's apps perfectly well. :p

Amen-Moses

OP
D

Dexter1912

that disgusts me dual booting with xp does any body hear the words sell out written all over it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
jdmiller82 said:
**** no I wont go. PowerPC to the core! I switched to Apple and now they want me to switch back??? No thanks...

I AGREE 1000% with jdmiller! I'm proud to own a Power Macintosh that allows me to run completely independent of windows and M$, should I choose to do so. What's wrong with a little elitism? I don't want windows to be able to run on my machine. Period.

Besides, won't this create security problems for the mac? Windows spyware, windows viruses, windows worms, windows security gaps...

I know Tiger's not perfect, but as somebody who owns an XP computer as well, it's definitely better than the alternative...

OP
D

Dexter1912

okay now iv calmed down were looking at apple loosing a chunk of its converts here if its capable of booting xp off the shelf people will be buying the hardware and then its bye bye os x

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
But remember that Apple is a hardware company. Who happens to create software also. Mac OS is not going any where. One of the things that make Apple a better product, is the tight intergration of hardware and software.

OP
D

Dexter1912

it looks to me if there is dual boot capablity apple will make a big deal of it an there will have to be some give on the hard/software intergration to run xpee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5

I wonder what people really expected from apple from a performance standpoint. The G5 was not cutting it...period! Their high end powermacs were noisy due to the processors heating up and they have been promising us a 3.0ghz machine for two years and still nothing.I think that from a performance standpoint, this is a wise move. Plus processor upgrades for the future will be easy and cheap!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Texasmeat said:
The G5 was not cutting it...period! Their high end powermacs were noisy due to the processors heating up and they have been promising us a 3.0ghz machine for two years and still nothing.I think that from a performance standpoint, this is a wise move. Plus processor upgrades for the future will be easy and cheap!!

The 3Ghz promise was less than 18 months ago (even Jobs said "I stood here a year ago and said ...") and we now have 2.7 Ghz so it's not that far off the mark. My dual G5 system is as silent as a very silent thing with it's feet wrapped in cotton wool and I cannot fault it for speed in any way. In fact my PowerMac is so quiet that when I wake up the screen you can actually hear the whine from the tubes warming up (well you can if I switch off the AMD machine and the iMac that are in the same room) and my PowerMac spends its entire time with both processors maxed out doing protein folding (it gives me 7-8 times the points every week that the other 4 machines get!). Oh and my PowerMac is just over a year old so it is one of the first batch not a liquid cooled beasty, Tiger has completely transformed it.

Anyhow Intel processors will be more expensive than PPCs not less (especially when the XBOX 360 comes out and IBM start making triple core ones in the tens of millions) and Apple has never been keen on upgradeable kit so why should they start now? If you think you'll be opening your Intel PowerMac every few months and plugging in new processors I think you need to get a reality check!

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
If anyone thinks that whatever hardware checks etc that are in place when apple releases osx for x86 wont be cracked then they need to think again. You can already run osx on x86 boxes (pearpc) but it is slow. And this is much more complicated than a few hardware checks. This is a complete virtualized environment and you can install and run tiger on any windows machine. Trust me, apple cannot keep their software on Mac-only boxes for long. I'll give it two weeks from today...Any takers?

OP
K

Kokopelli

rman said:
But remember that Apple is a hardware company. Who happens to create software also. Mac OS is not going any where. One of the things that make Apple a better product, is the tight intergration of hardware and software.

I found it interesting that this keynote is the first time I have ever heard Steve Jobs refer to Apple as a software company.

Amen-Moses said:
Anyhow Intel processors will be more expensive than PPCs not less (especially when the XBOX 360 comes out and IBM start making triple core ones in the tens of millions) and Apple has never been keen on upgradeable kit so why should they start now? If you think you'll be opening your Intel PowerMac every few months and plugging in new processors I think you need to get a reality check!

Amen-Moses

First I have a feeling that Intel is giving fairly deep discounts to Apple. While the volume may not be as high as Dell, the publicity and long term desire of Intel probably came into play.

Second, all indications are that the XBox 360 will not make a very good general use CPU. It is absolutely and without a doubt not the same CPU as the G5 and thus would be a CPU transition for Apple even if it were a decent general purpose CPU. Further who is to say that it would be cheaper for Apple. Probably, but that is a fairly hefty chunk of silicon and unlike MS, Apple is not selling the hardware as a loss leader. The cell has a bit more promise, but how easy it is to program for remains to be seen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Texasmeat said:
If anyone thinks that whatever hardware checks etc that are in place when apple releases osx for x86 wont be cracked then they need to think again. You can already run osx on x86 boxes (pearpc) but it is slow. And this is much more complicated than a few hardware checks. This is a complete virtualized environment and you can install and run tiger on any windows machine. Trust me, apple cannot keep their software on Mac-only boxes for long. I'll give it two weeks from today...Any takers?
It depends on how badly they want it.

OS X right now does not have any "hardware checks" in it. It will run on anything with the required instruction set and firmware, virtualized or not.

I foresee three possible restrictions Apple could place on future OS releases.

1. Legal. "By clicking this button, you agree that the system on which you are installing this is a genuine Apple(R) Mac(R) system." Sue two or three people, and you'll deter most sensible people. This will happen, no question.

2. Firmware. Put some necessary OS X routines into firmware on the new Intel boxes. Copyright said firmware. Sue anyone who distributes copies of the firmware.

3. Encryption. DRM. Basically, do #2 and make it hard to copy. Or digitally "sign" the hardware itself, and have the OS run only on "signed" hardware. This is possible, but difficult to do well. If done badly, then it will be cracked easily. If done well, cracking it could be difficult.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Apple screws up whatever verification scheme it uses the first time and OS X is hacked. It may take two or three versions, and several years, for Apple to get it right. Apple may just give up. But if Apple wants it badly enough, it is possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kokopelli said:
Second, all indications are that the XBox 360 will not make a very good general use CPU. It is absolutely and without a doubt not the same CPU as the G5 and thus would be a CPU transition for Apple even if it were a decent general purpose CPU.

Why wouldn't it be a good general purpose CPU?

The cores will indeed be PPC 970 based, maybe minus the AltiVec, so should have virtually the same instruction set. OS X runs on G3s and they don't have AltiVec so I can't imagine why it wouldn't run on the new PPC chips.

That may be an interesting exercise when the XBOX 360 arrives, try to get the Darwin core running on it and maybe even full OSX although the display drivers would probably be a big problem, wouldn't it be really really funny if an XBOX ran OS X faster than a Mac. :spook:

Amen-Moses

OP
Q

Qaxpla

Maybe I don't understand this completely. But are lots of people over-reacting here and having hissy fits?

I don't really think Apple would chuck away decades of hardwork to get them where they are easily. Apple have been making OS X to run on intel processors for the last 5 years, i'm pretty sure that they won't just chuck away their reputation without valid justification. I think that them being sure OS X runs better on Intel Processors is enough proof that they know what they're doing here. Seriously.

Or am I missing something?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.