Firefox Freezing on startup, everytime

Reaction score
FireFox has been freezing for 20-30 seconds everytime on startup. It started doing this back in early February and I'm getting sick of this, I was hoping it would just go away but it never did. What could be the cause of this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well what version Firefox and what operating system?

OP
C
Reaction score
It turned out to be a bookmark on my bookmark toolbar that was causing the freezing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Often is .Cody to a dodgy URL. Keep coming back eh?

OP
C
Reaction score
Ugh, nevermind. It's still freezing >.> Should I reinstall FireFox? Will I lose all of my bookmarks and site passwords? Would changing my homepage from Google.ca to something else fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, iMac
Ugh, nevermind. It's still freezing >.> Should I reinstall FireFox? Will I lose all of my bookmarks and site passwords? Would changing my homepage from Google.ca to something else fix it?

Two suggestions for you.

1) Before making any changes to important software, make a backup! If you don't have Time Machine setup, I would suggest you do that. You can also make a copy of the folder containing you Firefox bookmarks. In Finder, Library->Application Support -> Firefox. Copy the Profiles folder to ,say, your Download folder. If you have any problems, copy it back to the same place.

2) Many,many problems with Firefox are related to addons. I would suggest you disable all addons and extensions, set themes to the default. You can do this in the Firefox menu Tools -> Add-ons. Restart Firefox. If it now works correctly, you can try adding each extension,plugin,theme separately until you find the problem. I have especially found that themes can cause "flakey" problems. Set it to the default theme and restart Firefox.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.