Time Capsule and Modem

Reaction score
My internet speed (tested on speak easy) from my modem through time warner (ambit U10C018) to my airport is AWFUL and I have no idea how to fix this issue. Went to the genius bar and after much testing it has come down to a modem issue. When I run a direct connection from modem to computer - zero issues/super fast speeds. Soon as I run it through time capsule/airport - i get a download speed on 1.87 Mbpc...AWFUL. HELP!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 27" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 4Gb Ram|SL|Dual Band 1TB TC|AEX(n)|iPhone 4|iTouch 2G|160GB ATV|MBA
Tattoo74 - are you running it through an AEX and TC? As in extending your current wireless network from the Time Warner router to Airport/TC?

If so, my suggestion would be to ensure you disable the wireless channels on the time warner, and 'create' a new wireless network through the TC (on this, it will need to be 'Create a wireless network', and 'Off' (Bridge Mode)) - in essence, disabling the wireless mode on your DSL router and allowing the TC to control that side of it (your DSL will still act as the DHCP server - i.e. issuing ip addresses) - you then need to extend your network to the airport express from the TC..

Remember, the AEX acts as 'another' wireless client on your network if you extend it in this way, so will hog the limited/maximum 54 mbits of bandwidth available via wireless - result = lower download speeds...

Also, if you have any other macs/PCs drawing from that wireless network, they will suck-up the resources, and if they are not 'n' enabled, your wireless network will work at the lowest common denominator - i.e. b/g, and not 'n'...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm confused also - are you using a TC and a 2nd Airport device...

or are you using the terms TC and airport interchangeably to mean the same device - the TC?

The first thing I'd do is try a different cable between the router and the TC - make sure it's a CAT5e or CAT6 - not a CAT5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.