Dying Hard Drive?

Reaction score
My old iMac G4 (running OS 10.4) has been running sluggishly with sporadic freezes & "spinning pizzas" for several months. I launched Disk Utility which displayed the following message "SMART: failing".

I attempted to restart the iMac but it would freeze immediately after the "gong". I was, however, able to restart from the install CD. I attempted to run Repair Permissions which froze. I ran Repair Disk which reported that "volume cannot be repaired because of an error".

I restarted from the Disk Warrior CD. The hardware test indicated that "the built-in SMART indicated everything is normal".

Is this all indicative of an internal drive that is behaving unpredictably & about to die? :(

Thank you for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes sadly it is kitjv. Time for another hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Make sure you back up your files sooner rather than later. You never know when that thing is going to drop dead completely.

OP
K
Reaction score
The good news is that I did a backup last week.

I also ran all of the diagnostics from both Disk Warrior & TechToolPro. No unrepairable problems. All hardware tests passed. In fact, both DW & TTP noted that SMART "verified" the disk.

Nevertheless, I still cannot restart from the internal drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Something's definitely wrong with it. I suggest you take the safe road and get a new one. That was it won't quit on you while you really need your computer.

OP
K
Reaction score
Further investigation all points to a dead internal drive. I might just put a new drive in if I can think of a reason to keep the machine.

I ordered a new iMac this morning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is always the question - $100 or so to keep a G4 up and running. Put it up on eBay or similar stating questionable hard drive, after you wipe it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Putting a new drive in a G4 is sort of like keeping a doomed patient on life support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well kitjv that view depends ~~ on whether or not you are the patient lol!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.