setup printer hp 6500 wireless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None
Hi, to all. I need your assistance on how to configure a IMAC with this printer hp officejet 6500 wireless. After many intent, I still no connection with the printer. I download the last driver and still no connection. I trying to print any documents from the IMAC, and what I see is a little printer with a number 1.2.3.... I enter to print queue and still no printing. Also, I have a fusion 3 installed with windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits and I have the same problem. Does anyone have this problem before? I really needs your help. I buy this IMAC for my wife, she start getting upset with me, please help me, thanks to everyone..

v/r
rluis23 (PR)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure you have downloaded and installed the drivers for Snow Leopard 10.6. Here's the LINK.

Also make sure you have installed the OS X 10.6 software for the printer.

You probably need to install the printer correctly as it should work with the latest drivers (above).

First: Attach your 6500 to the iMac with a USB cable and turn it on. Then go into System Preferences, Print & Fax. The 6500 should show up here. Select it. Now select "Option and Supplies". Click on the Driver tab. Scroll down to the driver you installed for Snow Leopard and select it.

Now you should be able to follow the HP instructions for wireless setup and printing. Basically, the wireless printing is going to use the signal from your router along with the password (if any) that you have entered. See if you can print a test page. Let us know.

Regards.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. It isn't the printer drivers. I installed the HP 6500 drivers that came with the HP 6500 and checked for updates and there were none at either Apple or HP. Currently using HP driver 2.2.1 for this machine, the latest version.

I have a wireless network with a Linksys WRT54GP2 router and two wireless machines (Macbook Pro, Win 7) and one PC (Win XP) wired to the router. The Windows PCs have directly-connected printers, so I've installed the HP 6500 drivers only on the MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard 10.6.4) at this point.

After about 15 minutes of inactivity the printer goes into power-save mode and any attempt to print to it results in an endless "looking for printer" message. What's odd is that any of the three machines can get to the printer via it's IP address but the MacBook can't find it to print to. Nor can the separate HP utility app find the printer, telling me it's "not connected to the network". Using Safari to go directly to the printer's IP address, however, shows me a printer menu that clearly says the printer thinks it's connected to the network.

I changed to a static IP address thinking that might be the issue, but it makes no difference to this problem.

Going to the printer and using the front panel to reconnect to the network makes the printer visible (and useable) again. Until there's another 10-15 minutes of inactivity.

HP has not as yet offered any resolution. HP says there is no way for the user to turn off the power saver mode.

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that the printer can also be reawakened by navigating to it's IP address and clicking on "refresh" the network name.

And it's not a signal strength problem. I moved the printer, router and MAC onto the same desktop a couple weeks ago. The printer sees 100% signal strength.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't have any ideas other than to suggest re-working your network and attach the 6500 via USB instead. Used to be the power saver function could be turned off in the printer setup or menu. But lately HP like other printer manufacturers are more interested in making money off toner and ink cartridges than providing a good workable printer. One reason why I still have all my old HP printers.

Regards.

Reaction score
i wish apple would make there own printers, i dont know one person whos printer works well

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple did make their own printers at one time. Ever hear of the Apple Laserwriter? And there are plenty of printers that work real well with Apple computers. I have both a Canon and HP that are working fine. The problem is with drivers. Printer manufacturers have not done well in supplying drivers for OS X because of the percentage of market share owned by Apple. But that's changing rapidly.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@chas

The link you provided....

That's not the problem he's having. The printer works OK, however, the power saver mode kicks in..... that's when he's losing connection with it on the network.

And yes, I knew that Apple did not actually manufacture the Laserwriter, but I admit I did not know that is was made by Canon. Apple made a good choice.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.