Serial number, Apple support, and Firefox question/opinions needed

Reaction score
First off let me stress that I'm no longer paranoid. I know my last few topics probably made you think I was a nutcase or at least a moron. But thanks to everyone who has helped me I discarded that paranoia today. Thank you all for putting up with me and an extra special thanks to the moderators for not banning me :)

Let me also stress that I don't think I have any problems, I'm just asking for curiosity's sake and because I want to learn.

With the serial number for my Macbook, other then making my Macbook identifiable from everyone else's Macbook, what use does it have? I know that you give it to Apple support, but would it be used for anything else? Could my serial number be used to access my Macbook from another location? Let me especially stress with that question that I'm not asking it out of paranoia or because I have a problem, just curious.

I called Apple support today because I still have a little time left on the free Apple service and because I wanted to know from the horse's mouth itself what they recommend cleaning my Macbook with. When I called they said they didn't have a file for me even though I've called before and they were able to find my name when I gave them my phone number. The second time I called I forget what the automated/computer message was but it said something like bad batch and then disconnected me. I'm guessing that maybe they're having an issue with their phone/computer system, so I was wondering if there's a better time in your opinion to call them back? Maybe they had a high volume of calls?

I use Firefox because I like the addons. However, as I mentioned in one of my previous topics I was experiencing a "issue" with my cursor sometimes which I think may be more of an annoyance than a problem. In your opinion should I just stick with Firefox since I like the addons or get rid of it and use Safari? Are there addons or anything for Safari, and do you find Safari to be better than Firefox or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Simple. Stick with Firefox.

Reaction score
No, the serial number can't be used to access the machine, it is simply a serial number.

It is possible that they were having computer issues.

Firefox is a good browser but the choice is yours.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I use Firefox because I like the addons. However, as I mentioned in one of my previous topics I was experiencing a "issue" with my cursor sometimes which I think may be more of an annoyance than a problem. In your opinion should I just stick with Firefox since I like the addons or get rid of it and use Safari? Are there addons or anything for Safari, and do you find Safari to be better than Firefox or not?

As harry has advised, stay with Firefox if you are happy with it. My personal preference is to use Safari when in Snow Leopard, Firefox when in Ubuntu, and IE 8.0 when in Windows 7. As you can see, I'm very conventional. :Smirk:

You might also want to give the latest version of Opera (10.10) a look.

Regards.

C

chas_m

With the serial number for my Macbook, other then making my Macbook identifiable from everyone else's Macbook, what use does it have? I know that you give it to Apple support, but would it be used for anything else? Could my serial number be used to access my Macbook from another location?

No. The serial number, even if it was known by a third party, cannot be used to "do" anything on your Mac.

Are there addons or anything for Safari, and do you find Safari to be better than Firefox or not?

I personally prefer Safari precisely *because* there are fewer add-ons that could give me problems every time some new version comes out. The few add-ons that Safari has are straightforward and to the point. I don't use a web browser because I like pretty-ponies customization or seven zillion bonus abilities, I use a browser to *surf the web* and apart from ad blocking and 1Password (and okay, Evernote) I see very limited point in most add-ons and a lot of potential problems.

I also prefer Safari for other reasons but I'm not trying to diss Firefox here: it's a fine browser and I have a copy myself. I'm just not one of those people who feels the need to "mess with" the computer in endless customization.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
First off let me stress that I'm no longer paranoid. I know my last few topics probably made you think I was a nutcase or at least a moron. But thanks to everyone who has helped me I discarded that paranoia today. Thank you all for putting up with me and an extra special thanks to the moderators for not banning me :)

A little paranoia never hurt anyone.

Let me also stress that I don't think I have any problems, I'm just asking for curiosity's sake and because I want to learn.

With the serial number for my Macbook, other then making my Macbook identifiable from everyone else's Macbook, what use does it have? I know that you give it to Apple support, but would it be used for anything else? Could my serial number be used to access my Macbook from another location? Let me especially stress with that question that I'm not asking it out of paranoia or because I have a problem, just curious.

Nah, the serial number is just like a car's VIN, it just a huge digit that identifies the model number, where and when it was built. Every machine needs some sort of unique identifier so if there's a problem onthe production line they can track it down easier.
Six Sigma!
You never know, there could be a guy on the line with a magnetized hand.

I called Apple support today because I still have a little time left on the free Apple service and because I wanted to know from the horse's mouth itself what they recommend cleaning my Macbook with. When I called they said they didn't have a file for me even though I've called before and they were able to find my name when I gave them my phone number. The second time I called I forget what the automated/computer message was but it said something like bad batch and then disconnected me. I'm guessing that maybe they're having an issue with their phone/computer system, so I was wondering if there's a better time in your opinion to call them back? Maybe they had a high volume of calls?

I used to work phone support, and sometimes I didn't log my calls. I got in trouble for it... but still perhaps your first tech didn't log your call and thus didn't create a file.

I use Safari because Firefox seemed über slow. In my opinion it was originally written for Windows and then ported to OSX as an afterthought.

Interesting.
Serial Number: ***********
Model: - MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008)
Codename: - "M98"

Build Country: - Refurbished product, location unknown.
Build Year: - Your Mac was built in 2009.
Build Week - Your Mac was built in week 24 of that year (June).
Production Nr.: - Your Mac was number 59 to be built that week.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Aww, we wouldn't ban ya for that...

At least, not this week. ;D

Don't want you to feel like you can't ask the questions you have either.
That's what most of us hang out here for anyhow.
I'm still learning new stuff practically every day.
Or maybe I just forgot I knew that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
As for browsers, even if you don't use Firefox or Safari, always best to make sure that you have at least 2 browsers!
If for some reason, something gets corrupted on a browser, that you can't download anything (which has been known to happen), then you are stuck big time unless you have another browser to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.