• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Leapord vs LongHorn ??

E

Ex_PC_Puke

I watched the keynote ... and there seemed to be just a slight undercurrent of OS X versus XP or LongHorn.

Now this was one this was one thing when the two OS's were on separate platforms .... but by LongHorn Apple should be 100% x86.

I like OS X and I like Jobs attitude ---- but MSFT is an 800lb gorilla with a bad attitude. Granted they've got Linux and OS X nipping at their hairy heels - BUT they own 97% of the world market share.

Any of you pick this up - or is this standard WWDC keynote BS

OP
I

iMe

Yeah.....Its pretty much normal during his keynotes. I think its perfectly fine. Apple is a small company with high quality software/hardware. I'm glad they rep themselves lively as they do. Think of it like 2 car companies. One only cares about getting sales, and stepping on smaller companies. Even though the car company is huge, they have to recall their cars every month..lol. But the smaller company strives for performance and quality, even if that means only having 3 cars in production versus 15 cars (that suck) from the bigger company in production.

Steve Jobs should continue to rep his company no matter how small it is.

OP
D

Dexter1912

just if there is an x v. xp head to head apple will get destroyed, we all know ms are not overse to dirty tricks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Think of it like 2 car companies. One only cares about getting sales, and stepping on smaller companies. Even though the car company is huge, they have to recall their cars every month..lol.

Or think of it as 2 car companies:
One has great, fast, reliable & stylish cars that just work.
The other has cars that look mediocre, shake the passengers through a bit and require everyone to stop, get out and all get back in again every other mile.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The way Steve J. explained things, I don't see to many problems for Apple. I see that Bill G. and m$ may have the problems. If you look at the netscape story, where they had the larges market share, or even Apple in the beginning. Now look at netscape market share. Apple is in a great position, with everything to gain, and m$ everything to loss.

OP
D

Dexter1912

my head is telling me this but i have a really bad feeling its not just paranoia about the unknown i really think this is a bad idea

OP
E

Echo_

you do know that its just a company in china that builds the computers for apple... apple doesnt make themm they just give them the parts list.

this company also makes PC's for other companies...

edit: any apple hardware is no where high end when you compare it to what you can buy off newegg, maybe to that 300 dolllar dell it is but not otherwise...

iMe said:
Yeah.....Its pretty much normal during his keynotes. I think its perfectly fine. Apple is a small company with high quality software/hardware. I'm glad they rep themselves lively as they do. Think of it like 2 car companies. One only cares about getting sales, and stepping on smaller companies. Even though the car company is huge, they have to recall their cars every month..lol. But the smaller company strives for performance and quality, even if that means only having 3 cars in production versus 15 cars (that suck) from the bigger company in production.

Steve Jobs should continue to rep his company no matter how small it is.

microsoft doesnt make computers... they are a software company. and in recent news apple just recalled batteries on the ibooks and powerbooks

sorry to be a meanie but its the truth

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Echo_ said:
edit: any apple hardware is no where high end when you compare it to what you can buy off newegg, maybe to that 300 dolllar dell it is but not otherwise...

Really, please give me a link to a dual 2.7Ghz processor, 1.35Ghz FSB PC at newegg as I'd love to buy one.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
Amen-Moses said:
Really, please give me a link to a dual 2.7Ghz processor, 1.35Ghz FSB PC at newegg as I'd love to buy one.

Amen-Moses

*nod*

Echo, youve been misinformed my friend

OP
D

dirtydog

Apple hardware is not high end, whether you like it or not. What does their flagship model have, a Radeon 9650 or some such crap. All their models have crap graphics cards and small hard drives for what they cost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Take a look inside a mac, and you will see there hardware is very high end. Also, just because a computer is made in China, doesn't make it lower quality! Face it, right now the chinese and japanese companies can produce at a higher quality, faster, and for cheaper. Thats why they make computers.

I am now very excited about this new intel prospect after watching the keynote. I do personally think that Apple is intending to go after Microsoft. And I think that they actually have a shot at it. This is just another David and Goliath.

Apple may have recalled a few batteries, but I'm glad they did. How many times to companies ignore safety issues with their products? Microsoft may be a software company. But they have had recalls in their own way. I think the security updates that are posted almost daily now for PCs can relate to that.

To the car company analogy. I once read a quote by Steve Jobs that said something along the lines of "Apple's market share is equal to that of a BMW or a Porsche. Whats wrong with being a Porsche?" I agree, and personally, I'll take that Porsche over a Ford Taurus any day!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dirtydog said:
Apple hardware is not high end, whether you like it or not. What does their flagship model have, a Radeon 9650 or some such crap. All their models have crap graphics cards and small hard drives for what they cost.

I just priced up a system from Dell (I do this occasionally for ****s and giggles);

Twin Xeon 3.4 Ghz (not sure on the FSB as it didn't specify), 250G SATA drive, no display, USB keyboard and optical mouse, wireless, Windross XP-Pro, sound card and 128Mb graphics card .... $4,192. That's $1,193 more that than the top end PowerMac.

Now according Apple the top end PowerMac is 30% faster than a twin 3.6Ghz Xeon system so I went on the assume-jobs-is-a-lying-******* side and priced up the slightly slower 3.4Ghz model and chose the stock graphics option (their customise page wouldn't let me choose a 9650 for the duals).

If you can find me one cheaper please do as I'm looking for a nice powerful system to run Linux on.

Amen-Moses

OP
E

Echo_

i dont mean only tyhe proc i mean the ram the hd etc
sorry for implying the wrong thing, yes the proc but the parts are still cheapie

for example

the ram is the cheapest ram its not the high end stuf and a ripoff if you buy from apple

the burners are not the best ones and a ripp off 200 dollars for a dvd burner thats only 8x? ill pass, even if they are 16x now they were 8x like 2 months ago

the harddrives arent that great and are a rip off if you buy from apple

video cards are pieces of junk radeon 9600? ya those use to be top of the line lik 3-4 years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I always found Apple ram to be of a much higher quality than what I'd find in PCs. It is a rip-off if you buy from Apple. But they have it high priced on purpose, they will do Ram upgrades, but they discourage it. Its so easy for the end user to install ram, that it is really a waste of time for apple to do it for them. I agree with that policy.

How do u figure $200 for a super drive? There are other differences between the combo and super drive models than just that drive.

They were 8x 2 months ago, because those were older models! They don't put out crappy models for a month like other companies do. Every mac is carefully designed to work perfectly. They get fewer models out there, but they work much better. And, they are continuing to lead the industry. Many computer companies don't off 16x burners yet, expecially as a standard feature.

Hard drives are a rip off if you buy from any computer company. Apple prices are more than fair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Echo_ said:
i dont mean only tyhe proc i mean the ram the hd etc
sorry for implying the wrong thing, yes the proc but the parts are still cheapie

for example

the ram is the cheapest ram its not the high end stuf and a ripoff if you buy from apple

the burners are not the best ones and a ripp off 200 dollars for a dvd burner thats only 8x? ill pass, even if they are 16x now they were 8x like 2 months ago

the harddrives arent that great and are a rip off if you buy from apple

video cards are pieces of junk radeon 9600? ya those use to be top of the line lik 3-4 years ago.

I priced up the Dell with the exact same components as a top-line PPC and it came out over a thousand dollars more or to put it another way 33% more expensive!

Do you really think that Dell put better hardware in their PCs? (as they are probably made in the same Chinese factory as the PowerMacs I somehow doubt they use any different components :p )

Amen-Moses

OP
D

dirtydog

rs2sensen said:
I always found Apple ram to be of a much higher quality than what I'd find in PCs.

Hmm.. what makes you say that? There's nothing special about the RAM Apple use, it's just the same stuff that goes in PCs. It's not a special high quality premium brand that only Apple use and PC makers don't.

OP
D

dirtydog

rs2sensen said:
Take a look inside a mac, and you will see there hardware is very high end.

Low amounts of RAM, low end graphics cards like Radeon 9600s, small hard drives......

...is not 'very high end'.

OP
E

Echo_

where did i say compare it to a dell, i said a high end system.

i build my systems. i guarentee its better than the mac at a comparable price and i know it has better components.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.