I get continuous unwanted background music

Reaction score
I have started having a very weird problem with my macbook. I keep getting a 3-4 minute background music on my macbook and it starts playing again once it ends. Earlier it used to stop only when I restarted my macbook but now even after restarting the music starts within 10-15 minutes.
I did not have any application running except 'Finder' which I even tried to relaunch but it dint help.
No forums or discussions have any mention of such problems, which makes it a very difficult problem to sort out.

I am attaching a recording of the music along. Please note, I do not have this music on my computer as a song in itunes or anywhere else. (It 'might' have come from some website I opened)

Please help me out.

Thanks

Kunal

View attachment Audio 2.mov.zip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It could be in your start-up items in Accounts preferences

or it could be set as an alert sound in System preferences > Sound

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
what is your sound effects file called in the sounds preferences

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is Safari or any other web browser open when you hear the music?

OP
K
Reaction score
@louishen: which sound file are u talking about?

System preferences> System> Accounts
or
System preferences> Hardware> Sound

@dtravis7: No app is open except 'Finder', I've tried to Relaunch finder also but it doesn't help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sounds like a game soundtrack to me... have you got any games set to launch at startup?

OP
K
Reaction score
hey guys...
I've found the cause of the music. It's pretty embarrassing to announce it in public but I don't know anyone here so here it goes:

it was a "WIDGET"

it dint have any on/off button for the music. how it started on its own and earlier it started after 2-3 hours of usage and now after 30-40 minutes is still not solved but I am happy it's gone.

I can start the movie again.

thx for the time guys.

Reaction score
Background music

Please help! I can't get rid of the background music that plays a loop of one song. Have no idea how it happened. Have to turn my speakers on mute so I won't hear it. When speakers are on it's playing & if I try to play something else, both play competeing with each other so I know can't enjoy pandora, Itunes, etc cause background music is always there.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What programs are open when this happens? Try closing programs one at a time until it stops. This will let us know which program to target. My initial bet would be there is a browser window hidden somewhere.

Reaction score
random music playing automatically

I have started having a very weird problem with my macbook. I keep getting a 3-4 minute background music on my macbook and it starts playing again once it ends. Earlier it used to stop only when I restarted my macbook but now even after restarting the music starts within 10-15 minutes.
I did not have any application running except 'Finder' which I even tried to relaunch but it dint help.
No forums or discussions have any mention of such problems, which makes it a very difficult problem to sort out.

I am attaching a recording of the music along. Please note, I do not have this music on my computer as a song in itunes or anywhere else. (It 'might' have come from some website I opened)

Please help me out.

Thanks

Kunal

Just had this same problem for the past few weeks, finally found it, went to apple icon and clicked force quit button and the active sites came up. Didn't realise but had spotify running. Fixed.
Hope this helps others Cheers Jules.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting that. When I responded to this thread in February Spotify never occurred to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks for posting that. When I responded to this thread in February Spotify never occurred to me.

Sly - that was just over 4 years ago! :Cool: When did Spotify start? BUT, despite the 'age' of this thread, I usually get these 'background' audio interruptions when some 'opened' page in my browser starts playing a video making me click through multiple pages to see what I need to turn off! Annoying - Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't even think to look at the date of the original thread. Hopefully by now the OP has resolved this issue.

Like you when I get these it it usually the result of some site playing video automatically in the background. Macworld are you listening. Stop it!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
When you've opened a web page (yes, such as Macworld!) and you get a video or music accompaniment, you can mute all pages by clicking on the tiny sound icon which appears, in blue I think, in the Browser window, far right.

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you've opened a web page (yes, such as Macworld!) and you get a video or music accompaniment, you can mute all pages by clicking on the tiny sound icon which appears, in blue I think, in the Browser window, far right.

Ian
Thanks. Not sure if I didn't know that or had forgotten it. Don't think I've ever noticed that before.

I might have mentioned that in one of the Sunday chat show tips segments but it is getting harder to remember which tips I've covered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.