Best genealogy program for mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am switching over from the "dark side" to my first iMac, and need some advice re: genealogy software. On my PC I have an old version of Family Tree for Windows. From my limited research on the web, I have come across 3 programs for the mac. These are the latest versions of Reunion, MacFamilyTree, and iFamily. Again from my limited resaerch, it looks like Reunion, while very popular, the seems a bit "old", iFamily is a bit "off-beat", while MacFamilyTree seems in tune with the rest of the Mac approach. These are just my cursory observations gleaned from what the respective websites convey.

What would you recommend I get? Any personal experience with any of these?

Thanks,

Kevin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Where are you? You'll find that all the mac products are very heavily US based, aspects of which are particularly grating for us Brits. But if your from the US I quess that won't be of any concern :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Where are you? You'll find that all the mac products are very heavily US based, aspects of which are particularly grating for us Brits. But if your from the US I quess that won't be of any concern :)

Thanks for the reply. I am in Canada, and am curious as to what in the software would be irritating to the Brits? Just curious!
Kevin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
An elderly friend who is heavily into genealogy (or was) used Reunion for several years, upgraded it to v ? (about 2007), and then promptly turned his attentions to historical photographs instead.

He said that Reunion was useful, and generally widespread in its emphasis. His research tended toward his UK ancestors (a lot of NZ'ers are of Brit descent, I dare say that applies to Canadians too).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Geni.com is another good option

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir 2012
I have been using MacFamilyTree. I am still not sure that I like it, but I have to admit that I have not done the tutorial. I have heard that Reunion is a better program, but very expensive.

I also use Ancestry.com. It too is quite expensive. The drawback for me is that I do not want to put personal anecdotes written by my mother there. I keep them in the MacFamily Tree. Also I have found very sloppy research on that site so you must be very careful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Also a 11 yr old thread and most of these members have been around in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.