WD My Book Studio Edition II won’t mount on desktop! Help!

Reaction score
Hi, I’m hoping someone could shed some light and let me know how to fix this problem. The My Book Studio Edition II that I’ve been using for 5 months (only) suddenly wouldn’t mount on my PowerBook G4 (Mac OSX 10.4.11). I tried using Disk Utility and I could see the drive and the icon is dim. When I clicked “mount” it still wouldn’t mount, the drive is still showing dim. The WD driver manager also showing the drive in good status and good condition on the menu bar and has the green light. The power light/LED status and activity lights seemed acting normal, it goes in & out when I tried to mount it. And I could hear the sound that normally when the drive is landed on the desktop. However, it’s not there. I tried using different cable - Firewire 400, 800 and USB cable and it still wouldn’t work.

I don’t know if it’s caused by the new Macbook Pro (latest Mac OSX Snow Leopard) I recently purchased. The whole problem started when I plugged the external MyBook HD to the new Macbook Pro to transfer some files, it was working, but then when I plugged it back to the Powerbook G4, it’s just not showing. I then tried to plugged it again to the new Macbook pro, not showing either. I have the My Book HD configured in RAID 1 with no password at the moment.

I also bought another My Book Studio Edition II HD two weeks ago (don’t know now if this is a good idea now!!). I’m using it with the Macbook Pro with Time Machine. At the moment seems to be working ok. But I’m not dare to plugged it in to the Powerbook G4, just in case it disappear on both laptops. I apologise for the long posting, but I think I’ve coveredd all the issues that I encountered. I hope the drive will come back so I can get back all the data (900MB) in it.:Oops:

Thanks so much for your help in advance. :Sleeping:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know if this will help or not.... The WD My Book Studio Edition II is a RAID unit and as such if one of the drives fails or malfunctions for some reason or another, the entire unit will not mount. I don't believe you did it any harm by moving it from the G4 to your new MBP. The failure was probably coincidental.

You might want to contact Western Digital support by phone (they have a toll free number) and see if they can work with you to trouble shoot it. The unit should still be under warranty. They should also be able to tell you how to get your data off the drive(s) if possible. There is also software available that can help recover your data, if necessary.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 4
Did you try repairing permissions in disk utility? If that doesn't work you may need Disk Warrior. This happened to me once and it just need to be repaired by disk utility if it can or if not you'll need to rebuild with disk warrior depending on how valuable the files are stored on it.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply @chscaq and @roffir.
I tried contacting the support from WD, they said that will give me a call back, but I’m still waiting.

I also tried using Disk Utility/Disk Warrior/Drive Genius to mount or verify and repair. But none of this worked. The error message came up and said my disk is damage. The strange thing is that it shows the drive condition is good and healthy in the WD drive manager with the green light on. There’s no clicking or any strange sound from the drive.

As the drive it’s configured in RAID 1, and possibly not both of the hard drives are damaged. I’m thinking of getting a enclosure and try to get the data back from this way. Does anyone know which enclosure I need to get? I could probably get one from Amazon.co.uk, but I don’t know which one to get. A eSata one with USB interface? 2.5” or 3.5”? Is it easy to assemble it? Your advice would be much appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As the drive it’s configured in RAID 1, and possibly not both of the hard drives are damaged. I’m thinking of getting a enclosure and try to get the data back from this way. Does anyone know which enclosure I need to get? I could probably get one from Amazon.co.uk, but I don’t know which one to get. A eSata one with USB interface? 2.5” or 3.5”? Is it easy to assemble it? Your advice would be much appreciated!

You might be better off using a universal drive adapter rather than an external carrier. Here's the LINK to OWC (located in the US) as it will give you some idea of what to purchase. I'm sure Amazon UK stocks the same item.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
You might be better off using a universal drive adapter rather than an external carrier. Here's the LINK to OWC (located in the US) as it will give you some idea of what to purchase. I'm sure Amazon UK stocks the same item.

Regards.

That's very good idea, thanks! I'll definately buy one of this.
Good news is that WD is sending me a replacement drive, so I'll swap the old to the new to get the data back.

Thanks all for your advice. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.