Email notifier...

pod

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Mac OS X (Tiger) email notifier (preferably free) that would sit in my desktop's menu bar and notify me - visually and/or audibly - when I receive emails specifically in to my Hotmail and Gmail accounts. Does such a thing exist?

(I do not use Apple Mail or any other email application, only accessing my emails via web browser if this makes a difference).

Many thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's one for GMail: LINK Note that it's still a beta.

The only decent one I could find for Hotmail is $25.00 and I'm not sure they have a version for OS X. Take a look here.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I'm looking for a Mac OS X (Tiger) email notifier (preferably free) that would sit in my desktop's menu bar and notify me - visually and/or audibly - when I receive emails specifically in to my Hotmail and Gmail accounts. Does such a thing exist?

(I do not use Apple Mail or any other email application, only accessing my emails via web browser if this makes a difference)....

So let me get this straight...you want to find a program to notify you when you get mail...but you don't use the program you already have that would notify you when you got mail?

Reaction score
So let me get this straight...you want to find a program to notify you when you get mail...but you don't use the program you already have that would notify you when you got mail?

If you wanna get notified when you got a mail you have to use some mail client?!? Makes no sense...

I use google notifier. It's nice.
Only one feature that i don't like that is you should not put your password after you log in the notifier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you wanna get notified when you got a mail you have to use some mail client?!? Makes no sense...
No, you don't have to.

Unless you want a client that is integrated with Spotlight.
Or one that will keep your mail cached so that you can refer to it even when your network connection is unavailable.
Or one that you can automate through Automator or AppleScript
Or one that supports drag-and-drop from other apps.
Or one that's integrated with desktop applications like iCal, Safari, and iPhoto.
Or one that never shows ads.
Or one that integrates multiple services into a single inbox.

If these capabilities "make no sense" to you, and you would rather seek out a separate program, then by all means avoid the Mail app that came with your computer.

Reaction score
No, you don't have to.

Unless you want a client that is integrated with Spotlight.
Or one that will keep your mail cached so that you can refer to it even when your network connection is unavailable.
Or one that you can automate through Automator or AppleScript
Or one that supports drag-and-drop from other apps.
Or one that's integrated with desktop applications like iCal, Safari, and iPhoto.
Or one that never shows ads.
Or one that integrates multiple services into a single inbox.

If these capabilities "make no sense" to you, and you would rather seek out a separate program, then by all means avoid the Mail app that came with your computer.

sorry but you are suggesting the user prefer the same features as you.
Nice features that you cited but some users, like me, don't need or don't want that. Like i prefer the security of my mails rather having access to then offline and some portabilities features.

dont know if i'm been clear, english is not y native language.

didn't mean to offend you...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry but you are suggesting the user prefer the same features as you.
Nice features that you cited but some users, like me, don't need or don't want that. Like i prefer the security of my mails rather having access to then offline and some portabilities features.

dont know if i'm been clear, english is not y native language.

didn't mean to offend you...

No offense taken.

You do not have to use features you don't need or want. This also includes your security concerns; you can configure Mail not to save messages if you would prefer.

It just seems strange to me that anyone would go to extra effort to find and install a seperate notifier app that does less than what Mail already does.

Reaction score
the main reason that i don't use mail is that cant group replies to the same msg like gmail does.

there is a way to fix that?

Reaction score
Try Mailplane - I use it for my multiple Gmail accounts - not sure if it works for Hotmail too. Nominal Fee required.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.