Anti Virus/Maintanance Software & Upgrading Hardware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+
Just a few more questions before I place my order (finally) this month for the Mini.

Do I need any software such as Anti Virus, System Works, Firewall, etc. with Mac?

Future Upgrades. How easy is it to find/swap Hardware (Dual-Layer DVD, possibly HD-DVD/Blu-Ray and Hard Drive) for Mac?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
no antivirus or all that other stuff is needed, maintenance is fairly simple, and there are free apps that work great, os x has a built in firewall. its fairly easy to switch hardware in a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
With a Power Mac tower, swapping hardware is easy--the case pops open as easily as the best PC cases.

iMacs, eMacs, and Minis are a little tougher to deal with. For one, they have slot-load optical drives; for two, they're packed pretty tight. Getting to a Mini or iMac's hard drive is possible, but if you want to add a dual-layer DVD drive, you'd be better off with an external FireWire drive.

B

Badger

Is this what you're looking for: http://www.mcetech.com/minidvdr8dl.html? As far as security software goes, Symantec announced some time ago that it was no longer developing/upgrading its Mac software except for Norton's Anti-virus. If you feel the need for such software check the test reports on sites like Macworld or MacAddict. They often run comparative tests.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.