MacBook disk tray noise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2011; 500GB HDD, 2.5 GHz i5, 4GB RAM & OS X 10.7. iPhone 4 Vodafone & iPad 2; 16GB & iOS 4.3.5.
I have a bit of an irritating problem with my MacBook. I have the normal MacBook which was brought out before the new ones that have just been introduced, I bought a year ago this month.

When I originally got it the disk tray made a horrible noise whenever I opened the laptop. After a few months of having the laptop Apple brought out a system update, if I remember correctly it was 'EMI firmware update' but I can't be 100%. Anyway this update stopped the noise from occuring when I opened the Mac and when I turned it on.

A few months ago I updated the OS from 10.4 to 10.5 (Leopard to Snow Leopard) and assumed this firmware update would still be there. This was wrong because when I turn the Mac on the disk tray has started to make the noise again, but when I open the lid the noise isn't there.

Has anybody else done the same or know if there is another update that can get rid of this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
The firmware is still there, it isn't affected by OS upgrades. The disk trays are loud sometimes, I don't quite understand what your problem is occurring. Have you looked for any other documentation of your problem?

OP
arrontdep
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2011; 500GB HDD, 2.5 GHz i5, 4GB RAM & OS X 10.7. iPhone 4 Vodafone & iPad 2; 16GB & iOS 4.3.5.
Yeah, I have looked for information on it but can't find anything. Apple software Update app came up and said the firmware update is available, I pressed info and it said that it removes the disk tray noise, so I updated it and the disk tray noise is gone. It used to make a loud churning noise whenever I turned my Mac on or when I opened the laptop lid. The update stopped this. Then when I updated to Snow Leopard the noise came back, it doesn't occur when I lift the lip up, it just occurs when I restart the laptop or turn it off and it is turning back on and loading up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
Does it only happen when you're booting or waking from sleep? That's normal, it's just the computer checking to see if anything is in the drive that it needs to load. If it sounds like the normal disc spinning sound, and it only happens on startup and wake, it's perfectly normal.

OP
arrontdep
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh right thanks, I thought it was a problem with the firmware update, I assumed it changed the way it read the disk drive completely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.