iPhone 3G connection with O2 in the UK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2011; 500GB HDD, 2.5 GHz i5, 4GB RAM & OS X 10.7. iPhone 4 Vodafone & iPad 2; 16GB & iOS 4.3.5.
Hello, basically I am having problems with the internet connection on my iPhone 3G.

I recently finished my 18 month iPhone contract with O2, my internet provider on that contract was Apple, when I changed to the O2 Simplicity tarriff they changed my APN network settings from idata.o2.co.uk (I think) to mobile.o2.co.uk, this is when the problem first occured.

The problem is that my connection slips whilst I am staying in the same place or moving, whether I use to internet or not. Say I am on a 3G connection, it will stay on it for about 5 to 10 minutes, then for no reason it will lose connection and go to Edge or Cellular connection, which is a lot slower. Also when I am at home or in a WiFi hotspot it will do the same, but go to 3G connection.

Being no dummy with technology I have troubleshooted this problem every way I can; turning the iPhone off and on, syncing the iPhone in iTunes through my Macbook, taking the sim card out then putting it back in and double checking the settings of my internet provider through the O2 website. The only thing that seems to work is a short term solution, which is when the internet connection backtracks, go into settings, then turn Enable 3G off then back on again, this will find the 3G connection again, but will eventually go back and do exactly the same thing.

I was wondering could anybody help as this is a huge pain?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
Hello, basically I am having problems with the internet connection on my iPhone 3G.

I recently finished my 18 month iPhone contract with O2, my internet provider on that contract was Apple, when I changed to the O2 Simplicity tarriff they changed my APN network settings from idata.o2.co.uk (I think) to mobile.o2.co.uk, this is when the problem first occured.

The problem is that my connection slips whilst I am staying in the same place or moving, whether I use to internet or not. Say I am on a 3G connection, it will stay on it for about 5 to 10 minutes, then for no reason it will lose connection and go to Edge or Cellular connection, which is a lot slower. Also when I am at home or in a WiFi hotspot it will do the same, but go to 3G connection.

Being no dummy with technology I have troubleshooted this problem every way I can; turning the iPhone off and on, syncing the iPhone in iTunes through my Macbook, taking the sim card out then putting it back in and double checking the settings of my internet provider through the O2 website. The only thing that seems to work is a short term solution, which is when the internet connection backtracks, go into settings, then turn Enable 3G off then back on again, this will find the 3G connection again, but will eventually go back and do exactly the same thing.

I was wondering could anybody help as this is a huge pain?!

Dude, no matter how good you are with "technology", it is a problem with o2. You have to call them up to have it sorted out. It isn't anything you can fix by rebooting your device! Haha ;)

Give o2 a call. From what I remeber when I was with o2 when I lived in London, I think iPhone users could call o2 for free. Or go on their website and request a callback.

Hope you sort it out mate :)

peace

-Ben

OP
arrontdep
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2011; 500GB HDD, 2.5 GHz i5, 4GB RAM & OS X 10.7. iPhone 4 Vodafone & iPad 2; 16GB & iOS 4.3.5.
Oh right, thanks. I will give them a call sometime tonight then and see if they can help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.