Switching, But Mad

M

mimmyhonker

I am switching. I am buyinbg a Powerbook 1.33 GHz. I am mad though, that Apple has not put a G5 in the Powerbook. ther eis no reason why this cannot be done. Yeah, it would get hot, but so what? Apple can get around that. There is no reason why the Powerbook should continue toi ship with a measly G4. I myself can think of ways to cool a G5 enough to laptop it. While I am very excited about my Powerbook, I feel totally ripped off that I have to use a G4, when the G5 is out there. Your thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Well... welcome to mac-forums.

G4 in a laptop... I see nothing wrong with the G4.. all of us are using a G3 or G4 cept like 2 or 3 of us. The other 2-3 are using a G5 or lower than G3. G4 is a perfectly fine chip.

The transitions take time, I wouldn't expect another chip upgrade in the powerbooks till next year or later.

Apple is not one to just tape to things 2gether and ship them as they are. Apple will try its hardest to make a machine that does everything you want it to do, with out being to big. **** I could make a laptop with a G5. Tip the G5 on its side, duct tape a 23'' monitor 2 it, and paste a keyboard and a mouse on the top. Sry, but as much as we are all hoping to see a G5 laptop. Its not going to happen.

(sry if that post seems a little angry, my gf is mad, and my roomate is a slob)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
mimmyhonker said:
I am switching. I am buyinbg a Powerbook 1.33 GHz. I am mad though, that Apple has not put a G5 in the Powerbook. ther eis no reason why this cannot be done. Yeah, it would get hot, but so what? Apple can get around that. There is no reason why the Powerbook should continue toi ship with a measly G4. I myself can think of ways to cool a G5 enough to laptop it. While I am very excited about my Powerbook, I feel totally ripped off that I have to use a G4, when the G5 is out there. Your thoughts?
apple can get around it but do you have any idea how much planning it would take to get a processer that requires 8 fans into a laptop? besides the fact that the G5 really isn't a huge performance upgrade until you get to the dual processors. if you feel totally ripped off you shouldnt have ordered your powerbook. the difference between a 1333mhz g4 and 1600 g5 is probably very minimal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
trpnmonkey41 said:
apple can get around it but do you have any idea how much planning it would take to get a processer that requires 8 fans into a laptop? besides the fact that the G5 really isn't a huge performance upgrade until you get to the dual processors. if you feel totally ripped off you shouldnt have ordered your powerbook. the difference between a 1333mhz g4 and 1600 g5 is probably very minimal

And if you look at the benchmarks, a single G4 can outperform a single G5 at times. The G5 only shines as dual processor system. Don't get your underwear in a bunch over a name, look at performance. If you needed that much power you should have gotten a desktop. I have a G3 iBook and I love it....enough power for anything I want to do.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Gentlemen, once all code is optimized for the G5 processor, instead of using the 32 bit mode you will see a difference. The story I read said Apple is looking into liquid cooling the chip, The story was posted on this site also.

The problem is everyone want things now, and not wait for the best solution to a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
rman said:
The problem is everyone want things now, and not wait for the best solution to a problem.

id rather wait for the best solution.... but thats prolly cause im an enginnering student. problem solving is my cup of tea

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I see processor burnouts, I see melted wires, melted components, I see your laptop catching on fire.. I think I would rather wait, then put a G5 processor in it's current state in my laptop!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Murlyn said:
I see processor burnouts, I see melted wires, melted components, I see your laptop catching on fire.. I think I would rather wait, then put a G5 processor in it's current state in my laptop!

You forgot or did not meantion the very, very, very, I mean very warm lap. Did I say burn pants.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Oh yeah.. that's right.. the lack of being able to reproduce.. forgot that one.. thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Sorry to hear no G5 in lappys...

other notes..

DON'T BASH THE SINGLE PROCESSOR G5!!! :p

It upsets me :(

sKaD

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
trpnmonkey41 said:
9 fans :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Mac dude said:
9 fans in the duel processor.

8 in the single....i listed 8 since there are no dual processor laptops

OP
K

keylime

mimmyhonker said:
I am switching. I am buyinbg a Powerbook 1.33 GHz. I am mad though, that Apple has not put a G5 in the Powerbook. I feel totally ripped off that I have to use a G4, when the G5 is out there. Your thoughts?

I can't imagine anyone who has been making the migration over the years, to feel dissatisfied with a G4 book. I was pleased to give my $ to Apple, gifting my G3 iBook to my wife, and even though the 12" PB lacks in the chip speed and available RAM, when I put things in perspective of my long migration from a IIci to here, there is nothing to get mad about. Come to think of it, it would be nice to have something to keep my lunch warm on.

OP
M

Mr.Curlynose1

I don't think this would be feasible, because of how thick the G5 chip is. If they come out with a smaller G5 chip, it's probably possible. There were doubts about ever getting a G4 into a notebook. But they did. The G5 just came out!! They're not able to have it in a notebook right away!! You have to have some patience. And the G4 is also a completely adequate chip for most every day tasks. It is perfect for me. *Points to system specs*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.