Limit bandwidth using ipfw

Reaction score
Hello!
I have a iMac aluminum and a 54mbps NetGear router that doesn't support QoS. I would really appreciate it if someone could guide me on how to limit bandwidth overall on my roommates PC. The ip address I see on my router for their computer is 192.168.1.4. I read on another forum that i could use this command in terminal:

sudo ipfw pipe 1 config bw 300kbit/s
sudo ipfw add pipe 1 dst-ip 0.0.0.0/0

But i don't understand the dst-ip command

would it be "sudo ipfw add pip 1 dst-ip 192.168.1.4/x" <---what goes after the slash and does this command really do what I'm asking for?

I want them to have a fair share of the the internet but no more, so what is 18 percent of the 54 mbps router in kbit/s?

I have tried searching on google for applications and clarification, but either my searches aren't clear enough or there isn't anything out there besides a router that supports QoS. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think you would put /24 after the slash - that's shorthand for a "255.255.255.0" subnet mask.

OP
Reaction score
I think you would put /24 after the slash - that's shorthand for a "255.255.255.0" subnet mask.

Thanks for the tip. would you know what a 54mbps speed router is converted to if i was to set a speed limit in kbit/s ? and will this command limit only my roommates speed or everyone that is connected to the router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
You can't limit the bandwidth of a any machine besides yours with that command.

Buy a router with QoS.

But if your roommate pays half the bills try having a conversation with them first.

OP
Reaction score
You can't limit the bandwidth of a any machine besides yours with that command.

Buy a router with QoS.

But if your roommate pays half the bills try having a conversation with them first.

Thanks for clearing that up. They're fine with having a bw limiter installed on their computer as long as it's set to a fair share. Do you know any windows vista 32bit bw limiting applications that are fairly simple to use?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.