Paralles driving me crazy

Reaction score
I have paralles installed on my Mac OS X

But Paralles has taken over all the default settings. Even if it's not running.
When i try to download anything, it opens in Windows instead of my Mac. Even installing something something from a CD rom, i cannot install it on my Mac, it runs on Windows.

I know i can right click and select "open with..."

but i do not know what I'm supposed to select. What would i select for running a CD as opposed to downloading a zip file from the web?

What i would like to do is reset ALL setting back so that my Mac OS X is the default for everything.

I have the originals CD's... I have not tried those yet. IS that what i need to reset everything?

please help!!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apparently Parallels has not been installed correctly. What I suggest is to uninstall Parallels and then everything should revert back to OS X as it was before. See the following LINK which will guide you in removing Parallels.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have uninstalled Parallels.

But how do I get my Mac back on it's default settings?
For example, right now I'm trying to install a program from a CD, and it keeps opening it with TextEdit....
What is it supposed to open with?
Same thing when opening downloads...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What program are you trying to install? Is that happening with all programs or is just those from the downloads folder?

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
What program are you trying to install? Is that happening with all programs or is just those from the downloads folder?

Regards.

Anything. Wether it's a zip file or running a CD...

anything that requires opening something, it used to default to Windows to open it... now it doesn't know what to use.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you sure you've correctly uninstalled Parallels? It almost sounds like it's still in control. Both Parallels and Fusion make changes to some system settings when they're installed. That's so they can emulate hardware when in virtual mode.

Go to the link I gave you in my first reply and check to see if you have everything uninstalled. Other than that, I don't have any suggestions. If you have a good Time Machine backup you can always try a restore back to when the machine was running OK.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.