Accidently Deleted Quicktime!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83Ghz 1Gig Ram 120Hard Drive Capacity
help, i accidently deleted quicktime and i need it back. i'm currently running tiger (10.4.11) and i forgot my admin password. i don't have the disk to restore it!! can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
With no admin password you are not going to be able to install anything

Have you still got a Tiger boot DVD?

Reaction score
How did you accidentally delete it? You can reinstall it via Apple's website. Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11 can support the latest version of QuickTime (version 7.6.3).

OP
AppleRocks
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i was trying to install iAlert u but i didn't have the latest quicktime. like i said i don't have anything except a folder in the startup disk (system preferences>starup Disk) the folder is called Mac os x 10.4.11 on HD. but when i tried to install another quicktime, it said i couldn't because i already have one!?!?!?!?!! i tried searching it on spotlight buy i find quicktime in ystem preferences bout quicktime pro!!?!?!?!?!?! orry if i'm mixing you up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
As Chris has asked, how did you accidentally delete QT? If I understand correctly, you thought you had to do that in order to update to the latest QT. I think what may have happened is that you've deleted some parts of Quicktime, but there are still some QT files tucked away in the System. They're often hard to identify, and some may be invisible.

Try using a third-party application cleaner like AppCleaner or AppZapper or CleanApp to remove ALL QT files from your MacOS. Choose Send to Trash as the option of what to do with the files. DO NOT delete them (yet).

Once you've cleaned out all the QT files, then you can then download the latest QT from the Apple site. You'll have a minor problem there in that your present Mac has, according to the SysPrefs, been using the Pro version. That costs $$.

One more thing to check is SysPrefs > Accounts > Login Items to see if there are any QT components there. As Louishen has pointed out, you'll need your Admin ID - or a Tiger Install disk - to make changes.

OP
AppleRocks
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no i dragged quicktime in appcleaner, i think it took out all of it. when i tried installing it said i still have it!!! ill make a video for you if you want it to be more clear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Do what hughvane said.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.