• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

do you carry your WHOLE library?

Reaction score
Quick question:

Do you guys like to carry your WHOLE library in your ipod, zune, other mp3 player? I have 17 GB (7.2 days) of music and just wondering about this, what about you guys? I mean, do you really need all of your library with the whole time? have you even listened to your entire collection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No, they don't make a big enough iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
No I don't. I have a little 4gb Nano, and 18.43gb of songs in my library, so even if I wanted to, I couldn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook, Touch 2ndgen 16g iOS 4
I carry most of mine, I don't carry seasonal music (aka Christmas). I've been working on intermittently paring mine down to music I actually do listen to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you're talking about music, then there was a point a few years ago where my 20GB iPod could carry it all, but it wouldn't be able to handle it all today. If you're talking about video as well, then as Kevriano said, they don't make a big enough iPod (unless there's a 5TB model that I've missed) :p

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Someday they may make an iPod large enough..but not right now..but by then my collection might be bigger too..:)

Regards

iTunesSongs.png

Reaction score
I only carry a few play list of music that I am currently listening too.. mostly around 3-4 gigs on the ipod touch (8 gig)

OP
C
Reaction score
I only carry a few play list of music that I am currently listening too.. mostly around 3-4 gigs on the ipod touch (8 gig)

And how is that touch working out for you? I was thinking of getting the 8GB 3G or wait for a possible price drop (september-ish) and maybe score a 32 GB for maybe $200? I don't ever see myself ever filling up the 160 GB Classic!

Reaction score
I actually won the touch and its more than I need... I should just use a nano or something. My pod sits in my truck for when I am driving to and from work (connected thru truck factory radio) I really do not use it for anything else...
I have a Blackberry for my phone can't stand typing on a ipod...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
No, I only carry music I listen to a lot, I don't have enough space in my iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I actually do carry it all…but I delete music that I don't play, or get tired with, off my itunes. For me, there is no sense in keeping 30gb of music on your computer…it's not like you listen to every song every day. I also use the counter on itunes and check it at the end of every month. The lowest 20 songs get deleted…no matter what it was. Then I reset the counter. Sounds like over kill, but I like my files/data organized. I started doing this after getting the ipod video 5g 30gb when I noticed that I was wasting space on thousands of songs just so I can rack up a collection of songs. No I have about 830 songs…which is enough for my longest road trips:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I try to, but I can make do with a trimmed down 60ish GB version. This is why my next iPod will be a 64 gig iPad. I'm going to make do with my 80gig HDD ipod for now. I think we might get a 16 gig to mess with, and then I'll get a second gen 64 gig.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yup. 21 GB of music on my 30 GB iPod (old one with video). I use it on road trips and to play music on the alarm clock when I'm in the bedroom or showering/shaving in the connected master bath. Sometimes connect it to the stereo in the living room when playing pool or just hanging out. I like having music whenever I'm doing anything in the house other than watching TV. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I also have a 5th Gen iPod 80GB which carries a ton of music and video, but not everything. I load it up with videos when I travel over the holidays. It's very convenient to hook into a relative's ancient TV to watch movies. I have 310GB of TV and movies and 6GB of music, so I only what I plan to actually watch on the iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
yeah I have the 80gb Ipod Classic and have roughly 10,472 songs in my Library and about 30 gigs of movies on my external harddrive...I only keep the music on my ipod. I'm not to big on watching movies on it. The total amount of space I have free on it is a little over 20gb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I always tried to when I had an iPod, but now I have an iPhone, I use smart playlists to keep a my "must have" music plus a regularly updating fresh selection on my iPhone instead of everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5 - Dual 2.0 - 6GB Ram
I don't have any music on my touch, I have my shuffle full (2GB) but rarely use it. Mostly just listen to talk radio.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, I carry all of my music on my 5th generation iPod Video, which lives in my car full time. I don't have time to pick and choose from a library of hundreds of albums. To me, being able to take your library with you is the primary allure of an MP3 player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I would if I could, for sure..

However, I only have a 1gb card for my blackberry, and it only goes up to 8gb..

I think I might get a 160gb iPod :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.