tiger,panther?

Reaction score
I have both OS's but only have one installed, can I have both running or loaded on the same hard drive? Or is this a nono? Not even sure why I'm asking but I think I could use it as a separate login for our kids That would keep them from my stuff right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Dunno if you can have both Panther and Tiger on the hard drive without partitioning it. But in either you can easily set up absolutely separate user accounts:
From Mac help:
Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Accounts.
If some settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type an administrator name and password.
Click Add (+) and type the user's name.
Type a short name if you don't want to use the short name generated automatically.
Type the user's password in the Password and Verify boxes.
Type a hint to help the user remember the password if they have trouble remembering it at login.
Click Limitations and select options to determine what the user can do with the computer.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
thanks, thats easy enough (even I can do that lol) what do you mean by, partitioning it? Another hard drive (external)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
If you have an external, separate drive, there is no need to partition. Partitioning makes one drive behave as 2 distinct separate drives

K

Kokopelli

iNAP said:
I have both OS's but only have one installed, can I have both running or loaded on the same hard drive? Or is this a nono? Not even sure why I'm asking but I think I could use it as a separate login for our kids That would keep them from my stuff right?

While you can have both Panther and Tiger installed and boot to either, for what you are describing you are better off setting up a separate account for each of your children. Dual booting will not keep them out of the files and adds an unecessary level of complication to your setup. In order to even fo it you would need to partition your drive I think. So let's discuss how you can set it up so you can control your childrens access to the system and files.

Go to the accounts pane in system preferences and create each of them an account. Make them standard accounts (i.e. can not administer the system) and set parental controls if you feel they are needed. The status as a standard account is enough to keep them from snooping though. (log in as them to confirm before setting them loose. See notes below.)

Next, still on the accounts pane, under account options turn off automatic login so your kids can't reboot and have the system automatically log in as you.

Finally make sure to get in the habit of logging off when you leave your computer. Your child does not have to hack anything if you leave yourself logged in.

That should do it for a cursory parental control. Just be very sure that anything you do not want them to access is in your home directory in a folder they can not access and you should be good to go. Some directories in home are public!!

There are more thorough ways you can lock what a particular account can and can not do but there are too many options for me to cover here.

EDIT: Yes folks, I really type this slow. There were no comments when I started this post.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
I have an external from my wifes old Mac from work.Called Arriva not even sure how old it is I wonder if I can add it to this iMac but the plugs are different, this thing has locks or screws added to the cables

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.