Ipad dock and Ipad cover don't work well together

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4
I was able to pick up a returned dock from best buy for $20 (instead of $29.99). Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

2cibs7q.jpg

2csj6gg.jpg

2v920y1.jpg

I like that it's portable and can slip it into my bag and holds up the Ipad a lot better then the slip on cover from apple does.

But I had to remove the Ipad from the cover in order for dock to charge the Ipad.

So then I went and did what I do best.

33e3pz4.jpg

and I snipped away the edges around the port, so that the Ipad and the dock could make a closer contact and charge the Ipad without removing it from the cover.

For $40 a pop, I wish someone in R&D at Apple would have taken just one moment and tested to see if the Ipad with a cover on it, would work with the dock before they decided to send it to production.

It's the little things .....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Need to do that to mine, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This is unfortunate. I could understand if a third party case didn't work with the dock, but you would think Apple would do a better job at engineering its own products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
This has always been a problem with the iPhones too. I think apple's rationale might be that if you have the case, you don't need the dock. But I don't know if you can plus the cord into the iPad and still have it stand up.

I am still eagerly awaiting my chance to get a case, but they seem much more scarce than the iPads themselves, which I can't understand for the life of me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm going to have to agree with the majority on this one, this is pretty stupid of apple to not think about this! There must to be a pretty good reason for them not to…maybe overheating while charging?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.