can troj/taterf-d attack a macbook?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a new mac user. I put a flash driver into my macbook pro yesterday, and then the Sophos virus scan popped up and said I have a "troj/taterf-d" in my shared file. I was using PC's before and it's likely that my old machine was attacked. I looked up what "troj/taterf-d" is online. It seems like it's a kind of serious malware. Does anyone know more about this bug? Can it affect a mac or does it only attack a PC? I simply deleted the infected file. Will that be enough? Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I won't make any guarantees, but I'm pretty sure you're just fine. There are no known viruses for OS X, and, by the nature of the structure, nothing can implant itself in your system. As long as you didn't use an Admin password to authenticate anything, you should have no worries.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! :D When it comes to computers, I'm a true dummy. Many people say mac is much saver than PC, that's why I switch to get the peace of mind. But there are some viruses that target both out there, so I just want to make sure.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are no viruses that attack both out there. There are at this time absolutely zero viruses in the wild that can affect OSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.