User Switching

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
OK, so I have my account all setup just the way I like it, my address is full, and my calendar is setup, along with my .Mac account and replication.

So I go out and get my wife an additional e-mail account on .Mac so that she can get rid of her current hotmail account and so that she can use it for iChat.

Here's my question. I setup a new account for her on my system. Is there a way that she can use the Address Book and Calendar that is setup on my account? I tried replicating it via .Mac, but really I just want to share the information between the two accounts.

Also, does Mac OS support fast user switching like Windows XP?

Thanks,
Ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Mac does supprot fast user swicthing it is acutlaly a prety nice transition too.
System Preferences>Accounts>Fast User Switching... check the box.
Don't know about the other stuff tho, sorry.

Reaction score
"Also, does Mac OS support fast user switching like Windows XP?"
yes it does

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
Thanks, I found the user switching. I had it turned n, but I was looking in the apple menu to Swtich (like the start button) but overlooked the person next to the clock. I like the animation between the switching. Now if I can just figure out how she can share my files :(

Thanks,
Ray

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I tried that. I put a backup of my Address book into the Shared folder, and then tired to restore it on her ID, but it won't let me.

Also, I turned on replication so that she can just replicate it down via .Mac, but that didn't seem to work either.

Thanks,
Ray

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, what about this. Can I make my wife's account use my Home Direcoty as her own? so all my music from iTunes and everything will be available in her account? The only reason I what the second account on the system is so that she logs into her e-mail in the Mail app and her iChat account. Other than that, I want all my information and files available on her account.

thanks
Ray

Reaction score
that over my heaqd but i'm sure someone out here can help....good luck!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you don't mine her reading your e-mail and you reading hers. Then you can set up one user account and have mail read both e-mail accounts.

I don't know about iChat, since I don't use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well, why don't you just set up an additional AIM account and use an instant message client other than iChat (I'd recommend AdiumX) to access that?

You can easily add additional mail accounts to Mail - if you don't mind her reading yours.

Alternatively you can just point iTunes to your music folder (under library) and import all the music that's already there in a separate user account.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
Well, why don't you just set up an additional AIM account and use an instant message client other than iChat (I'd recommend AdiumX) to access that?

You can easily add additional mail accounts to Mail - if you don't mind her reading yours.

Alternatively you can just point iTunes to your music folder (under library) and import all the music that's already there in a separate user account.

Thanks for the idea's, but that just isn't as ellegant I would have hoped for. In the past I had my old Windows XP systems setup like this, and I assumed I could easily do this with Mac OS. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm probably trying to solve this with an XP Mindset (Duplicate XP process) in Mac OS.

As it stands, I have the second account setup, with her e-Mail and iChat information in there. I was able to replicate the address book in via .Mac replication, but while my iCal does seem to replicate, it never seems to show up.

Thanks,
Ray

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey MacsWork, thanks for the info. I ended just replicating it via the 2 accounts using my.Mac account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE: I was able to share my iTunes and iPhoto libraries and files between the accounts. I gave my wifes account access into the music and pictures folder. Then I put alias's in her account to reference my stuff.

So now when she opens iTunes or iPhoto, she see's everything and if she updates anything, it's updating the information in my home folder.

Thanks,
Ray

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.