Is there an easy way to split screens on a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks
My boyfriend always plays these stupid internet games in which he needs to have two screens up at once. Is there a shorter way for him to do this without opening both internet windows and then manually sizing them to fit side by side?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My boyfriend always plays these stupid internet games in which he needs to have two screens up at once. Is there a shorter way for him to do this without opening both internet windows and then manually sizing them to fit side by side?

I've found 2 apps that will facilitate this, both from the same developer.

Firstly there's SizeUp. This adds shortcuts you use to move individual windows to one half of the screen, a quarter of it (pinned to a corner), and more. I don't see a way for it to automatically tile all open windows, but this is still quicker and easier than re-sizing manually.

Next, they have Cinch. This does similar tiling like SizeUp, but you use the mouse to drag the window to a side/corner. In my experimenting, I flat out don't recommend it. It's very twitchy if you have Spaces in use, and I actually "lost" a window somehow (it was still in my list of open windows, but not visible) and Safari wouldn't quit.

EDIT: These guys used to have a freebie app called TwoUp that was more limited in usage, but would be fine for your needs. But they discontinued it in favor of their shareware SizeUp. But if you can find a place to get it from, so much the better.

And finally… there are some AppleScript solutions.
http://www.ithug.com/2008/12/applescript-arranging-multiple-windows/

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you saying you don't recommend both of them or you don't recommend Cinch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you saying you don't recommend both of them or you don't recommend Cinch?

I don't recommend Cinch. It seems too buggy just from my 3 minutes-worth of experimentation. SizeUp seems ok. You can always try it for a bit and ditch it if it causes you trouble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found a couple more apps. First is called WindowFlow. It's a bit more advanced than SizeUp, and can serve as a replacement for the built-in CMD-TAB cycling of open apps. It took me a bit to figure out the keyboard commands for selecting and tiling windows, but overall it is more flexible.

You can also check out Breeze. It will save the current state of open windows of a given app and you can recall them from the menu or a keyboard command you create.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm trying out Breeze and love it. But is there a way to edit or delete any screen state that I've created?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.