Can not install anything!!?!

Reaction score
Hey,

I've recently just tried installing the new Flash Player to my Mac OS X. It downloads fine, it's just when i double click the icon, as to try and run through the installation steps....nothing happens. It doesn't open, nothing pops up.....and it is driving me mad!! I have had this problem with previous apps etc iv successfully downloaded...they just won't install....Pleeeeease help!

ashcov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums

Some details please......... including:
What Mac?
What version of OS X?
What flash player?
Are you an admin user or just a standard user?

Any information you can give would help, and I can't speak for other members here, but I've misplaced my crystal ball :)

OP
A
Reaction score
No probs.....im a complete amateur with all of this soo.....

ok im using a macbook with version 10.4.11 os x

1.83 ghz intel core duo

the flash player i tried to download is Adobe 10.0.45.2

..and i am the admin and only user of the mac.

..hmmmm....could it be that the version i am using for my mac is too old to install such programmes? In which case should my next move be to just simply upgrade??

Thanks for ur speedy reply by the way 6string :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The adobe version isn't the issue here.....
You mentioned in your OP that you had previous apps that you can't install that you've downloaded!
I'd start with repairing disk permissions, and then downloading the 10.4.11 combo update. Apple - Downloads - Mac OS X Updates - Mac OS X 10.4.11 Combo Update (Intel)
If this doesn't do the trick, then I would setup another admin account, log out of yours and into the new one and test it there.
Personally, I would be upgrading to leopard or snow leopard anyway.... but one step at a time.

OP
A
Reaction score
How do i repair disk permissions coz none of the other 2 things u suggested worked...:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to applications, utilities, disk utilities, select the HD, and click repair permissions.

OP
A
Reaction score
seahiltzthe

There isn't anything called disk utilities under utilities??! Hmmm....my mac is seriously Messed up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok.... this is a mess

At this stage I would definitely be grabbing the install discs, insert disc one, restart Mac holding C until it boots...

Select language, and from there go to utilities in the menu bar, disk utilities from there.

I would not bother even repairing permissions, I would just be erasing the disk.

When doing this, I would click advanced, and select the first zero out option, and then erase.

Once this is done, quit utilities, and proceed with reinstalling Tiger following the on screen prompts.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You have no Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Baffling me too dtravis7, so, just to be sure

or search in spotlight (magnifying glass in top right corner of screen)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If the op has deleted Disk Utility, there is no telling what other "cleaning" has been done.

Personally, I'd go with backing up your data and the clean install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmmm... the OP disappeared, so I'm guessing either the OP's going that option, or has just deleted his/her browser too :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.