Apple Store replaced HD and took away my admin account

Reaction score
I have a Powerbook G4 that is really old, but very loved. When it wouldn't boot last week I took it to the geniuses at the Apple Store who told me that my hard drive would need to be replaced. I just got it back today and it is cleaner and faster than I ever remember, they even reinstalled 10.4 for me. Everything that was on the old hd is gone, which I expected. The real problem is, when I got home and turned it on I was put through the registration process and created an account but the account is a "standard" account with zero ability to install the software that I need.

I have read all about putting in the install discs and reinstalling them. I do not have the 10.4 discs, only 10.2 and without an admin password I can't even run them. Startup Manager doesn't read the disc and holding the "c" key on startup doesn't do anything either. My computer is old and the optical drive isn't very good.

I have also read about going into single user mode and creating a new account that way, all that did was create another standard account on my computer.

What can I do about this? Did the people at the apple store do something to restrict me from having admin access on my own computer? This is very frustrating.

Thank you in advance. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I would ring up Apple or go back tot he geniuses and tell them hey you left your password on my computer so I can't access the admin account. And get them to remove it. I'm sure it's just a little mistake. And they assumed you'd have 10.4 at least when you do not. Also let them know that not everyone has 10.4. Personally it's something the geniuses should have not done. This mistake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums.....
Obviously, I can't tell you what they did, but an admin account is created through the installation process, not a standard account.
Go into system preferences, go to accounts, and what do you see there?
Can you take a screen shot and post it?

OP
B
Reaction score
6string, thanks for the welcome, here's what I see when I open accounts in the system preferences:
bittesac

I obviously can't figure out how to get the picture to show up, so here's the link:

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r70/bittesac/?action=view&current=CIMG4735.jpg&newest=1

And the8thark, I have a call coming tomorrow from them but after all I went through at the apple store I really have no desire to go back so soon. I didn't get into it because it isn't too important, but it was pretty bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I think you're going to have no choice but to go to Apple I'm afraid. I can't understand why there is no admin account showing up there!
I found a link using terminal, and I'm going to test it, and then I'll post back, unless I totally mess up my system by doing so LOL

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks. Hopefully it gives you something, and if it doesn't, oh well, as long as your computer can walk away without harm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok... Im back and it worked for me but I had an admin account already, but I had to create a new admin account, and couldn't use my same full name as before, so I took the space away between my given and surname!
Before you go ahead, wait for opinions from others if you wish in regards to this working from standard account, although, you have nothing to loose, as you would have to go to apple anyway.

Write all this down, and it's vital that you write it down, and enter correctly.

1- Reboot
2- As soon as you hear the tone hold command (apple key) and S until you get it starting to load a page full of writing.
3- Once the page has finished loading, enter the following.
(I am writing space every time you should have a space inbetween charactors)

mount space -uw space / (click enter)
rm space /var/db/.applesetupdone (click enter)
shutdown space -h space now (click enter)

This will restart in the install welcome screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To anyone else who reads the above and thinks they should try this, just keep in mind that as well as my time machine backups, I have all my install discs and a bootable clone, but even then, I like to take risks, even if not always as educated as I would like them to be.
I did however research this before I proceeded, and found that this had worked for all those running OS X 10.4.x - 10.6.x who tried this, except for those who had typed in the commands incorrectly!

OP
B
Reaction score
I tried exactly that a little while ago. It got me back to the welcome registration part and let me set up another account. Unfortunately it was another standard account.

It is almost like I am missing a step during the registration or something. I have no idea,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I guess that's another trip to the Apple Store then!
I'm sure they will be able to rectify this for you, so I guess you are just going to have to hold tight until you get down there.

Sorry I couldn't help, but maybe someone will come along and be able to explain this meanwhile.

OP
B
Reaction score
No worries, thank you for your help. It could always be worse I guess. Looks like I'm heading back to the geniuses pretty soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Since you don't have the 10.4 discs, presumably you aren't supposed to have Tiger in the first place. If that's the case, you "should" just erase the drive and reinstall the version of the OS you actually have a license for. Of course… if Apple put Tiger on it and will enable an admin account for you, that's their business and the heck with it. :D Just be aware that if you run into something requiring the install disc later on, you are SOL.

OP
B
Reaction score
Problem Solved

Thank you to everyone who helped me out on this. I ended up having to bring my G4 back to the store where they told me that after they installed my new hd, they created an account to download all of the upgrades and run diagnostic tests on my machine. After they were done they forgot to delete this account and that is why I could not do anything.

Hopefully, if anyone else runs across this problem in the future, this thread will help steer them in the right direction.

Thanks again guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.