iphone newbie

Reaction score
I just bought an iphone and transfered 1585 songs to it using itunes. This took up 7.5 GB of space. Is that too much? I thought 2000 songs= roughly 2G or am I wrong. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I just bought an iphone and transfered 1585 songs to it using itunes. This took up 7.5 GB of space. Is that too much? I thought 2000 songs= roughly 2G or am I wrong. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

It all depends on the size of the songs. I wouldn't worry about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Before synching i went thru iTunes and gave all my favourite songs 4 stars and then made a Smart Playlist for only 4 star songs then told iPh only to synch to that Folder. If i need a change then i will make a new smart playlist and synch to that one - saves having to hunt thru 2000 songs i reckon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
That's not really a lot of space.

I have my favourites list on itunes. That list has 2136 songs in it. All at 128kbps = 7.98GB. 1 minute @ 128kbps = roughly 1 MB. So it seems you might have a lot of long songs or you have your songs encoded at a bit rate higher than 128kbps.

Reaction score
Though its not alot of space, that is quite a few songs, probably quite a bit more than I would want/need

Reaction score
There are a lot of factors that can influence the # of songs per gig ratio. Bitrate, length, format, etc

Reaction score
good question

I would recommend sorting your songs by level, you might not have as many as you think. Separate the ones that are not as great from the ones that are really great, this could cut down on your storage space a bit.

Reaction score
That really depends on the size of your songs and its bit rates. You should check
it though because it seems to be too much space for that number of songs.

I would recommend you sort your songs first before transferring them to your iPhone.
It makes it more clear what you are trying to put into your unit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.