imac g5 hard drive failure?

Reaction score
Gfs imac has recently been having issues it would first boot fine into osx then randomly not work then work again until yesterday where it wont go past the login screen. OSX was hanging after the login password was entered and eventually gave an 'unexpected error' with spotlight and airport. I tried repairing the partition with the install disc and with command prompt but no luck. After some research and realize it hasnt been wiped since it was bought in '07 i decided to do a clean install.

About a 1/4 way through the install i first got an error message along the lines of '/volume cannot be written', 2nd attempt resulted in the computer completely turning off, 3rd attempt spinning wheel of death.

Now before i go ahead an order a new hard drive i wanted to make sure that this was in fact the problem as im not too savvy with macs. Also is the hard drive a regular sata 3.5"? Thanks in advance...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does sound like your hard drive has failed. Can't be 100% sure so it's really up to you to order a new one or not. And yes, it's a SATA drive, 3.5".

Regards.

OP
Z
Reaction score
It does sound like your hard drive has failed. Can't be 100% sure so it's really up to you to order a new one or not. And yes, it's a SATA drive, 3.5".

Regards.

Thanks for the quick response, cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.