Just got my mac. What should i download/do first?

Reaction score
Hello peeps. i just got a 13 inch macbook pro. Is there anything i should download and install or anything first? Any useful apps or anything? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
I'd recommend appcleaner, for any unneeded apps

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You won't need an A/V or Spybot type software.

First couple of things you'll want to grab are Flip4Mac and Perian for video codecs you'll need, and I guess you might as well grab Flash player also.

From there on, it's pretty much what you need for what you want to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
AppCleaner as advised above, only for any Apps that you install that you decide you don't want, and that don't come with their own uninstallers!

OnyX
to perform basic clean up/maintenance every 2-3months. Use the automation tab, and the default selections in the action.
Other than that, better if you just enjoy your Mac on not get into the Windows paranoia, and also get to know your Mac well before you start messing with something that is good by default.

I would advise going to Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics and going through all the tutorials at your own pace, and getting a little familiar with the way a Mac works.

DON'T install any Anti Virus Software, unless you are installing a Windows OS, and then only install it on your Windows Partition or VM.

If you need anything in particular, please post a thread here in what you are needing, so that recommendations can be given to you, rather than having everyone come into this thread with their preferences telling you what you need!

Welcome to Macs, and Mac Forums, and please, if ever in doubt, ask first, and don't let anyone (friends or computer techs) install anything on your Mac!

OP
A
Reaction score
Haha sweet links guys.

Im not as silly as some of the other people around here who install antivirus :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I would take a look at these things. And be sure to read the documentation of all of them.

1. Appzapper
AppZapper - The uninstaller Apple forgot.
The best (in my opinion) application uninsaller
But if you want free. Then the above appcleaner is almost as good.

2. Onyx
Titanium Software
A very nice OS X mantainance application

3. Mactracker
http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/
A database with specs of every Mac ever made. You'll be surprised at how often this kind of information is useful.

4. The Missing Manual for 10.6 Snow Leopard
Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual - O'Reilly Media
Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Snow Leopard Edition - O'Reilly Media
There is 2 books there. Shop around for a good price and browse them in a bookstore to see which one is better for you. Sure these are totally optional. But if you need an OS X book, this series of books is one of the best.

5. A few links from the Apple website you should read.

Apple - Mac OS X - What is Mac OS X - Time Machine
This is Time Machine. A really good way to back up the data on your Mac.

Apple - Mac OS X - Windows Compatibility - How Mac works with PCs
Apple - Support - Boot Camp
This is Bootcamp. And this is the way you get windows natively on your Mac if you want it there.

6. Perian
Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components
This allows you to watch many different movie/music codecs in quicktime. Very nice to have.

I'm sure others will chime in with more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
LOL .... Just as I suspected, this thread is turning into a "what is available and you should have for your new Mac" thread

Also appears that posters don't take enough time to read previous posts to a thread they are responding to.

To the OP, there are many good suggestions so far, and anything you are unsure, or want to know, feel free to ask :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Oh yeah.... The first thing to download for your new Mac is...

Wait for it............

Apple software updates for your Mac. Period!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You never fail to put a smile on my face Juke :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Go to System Preferences (from the Apple Menu at the top right) and start customizing your mouse, trackpad, dock and security settings. Turn on Firewall from the Security pane. Download Flip4Mac in order to play any Windows Media files you might come across, or Perian or VLC player. Get an external hard drive and set up Time Machine. Download AppCleaner to remove any apps. Check out the tutorials at Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.