Imac G5 Issues!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 21.5'' 3.06ghz, Mac Pro 2.66ghzx4, Powermac G4 1.25ghz, IMac 17'' 1.8ghz
Today, I found an Imac g5 1.8ghz, NO ISIGHT. I plug it in and then the chime comes on, the white light goes on, and then 10 seconds after goes off. If I press the button again, it goes into the blinky sleep mode. Not once has the monitor powered on during this process. Fix, anyone?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The easiest thing to check first is the battery. Here's the LINK to the Apple instructions on how to change it out.

If a new battery doesn't resolve it, post back and we'll go from there.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just replaced the 3 volt clock battery. Still acting idiotic. I also checked those cylinder things quick for damage, vacuumed out the system, reset the SMU, and PRAM

Reaction score
The best way is to unplug the hard drive and see if you get the flashing ? mark. That will tell you thats theres issues with the system or HD.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did that. No reaction on the screen whatsoever. Do you think it may be a problem with the screen?

Reaction score
I did that. No reaction on the screen whatsoever. Do you think it may be a problem with the screen?

Thats not good!... Is it totally dark no light whatsoever. Check all the connections to the LCD. Its either the video has gone out or the back lite in the LCD. Next would be a board gone bad. But you said it still chimes?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it still chirps. No light, nothing happening with the screen. I'm going to the apple store right now to get a display port to vga adapter to do some tests!

Reaction score
Yes, it still chirps. No light, nothing happening with the screen. I'm going to the apple store right now to get a display port to vga adapter to do some tests!

An Adapter will be cheeper at Fry's.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just bought one at Springboard Media in Philadelphia. Love that place, an apple store that sells apple cables and generic cables made for mac. When I plug the monitor into it, nothing happens either. );

Any more suggestions that may ease my depression?
Would this move "for-parts" for $250 on CL?
Any chance I could attach the G5 Processor to my PowerMac G4 Logic Board? :)

Reaction score
I just bought one at Springboard Media in Philadelphia. Love that place, an apple store that sells apple cables and generic cables made for mac. When I plug the monitor into it, nothing happens either. );

Any more suggestions that may ease my depression?
Would this move "for-parts" for $250 on CL?
Any chance I could attach the G5 Processor to my PowerMac G4 Logic Board? :)

my much loved iMac G5 (no iSight, with PowerPC processor) recently died - it was the logic board, apparently - this is what i was told, because I'm no tech-head, lol.

Although the Mac switched on, bonged, and booted up, the screen was completely dead - not a sausage.

regretfully, I had to call it a day with the G5. Still, on the bright side, it gavce me a good excuse to snap up a nice shint Core-Duo aluminium unit with 4 months applecare left on Ebay for a decent sum!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.