• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Watch the KEYNOTE everybody!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
In the keynote Mr. Jobbs releases information stating that all versions of mac os 10 has been created for both power pc and intell processors, He even has a computer running an intel proccessor at the keynote and uses it the whole time! He explains himself very well, and I can see now why they are moving to intel proccessors. So everybody, go to apple.com and watch the keynote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
regular pc's should not be able to run os x though just to clarify...but good suggestion that everybody should go watch it!!

-chris

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah regular pcs should be able to run osx but some things might not be the same with all the hardware so there may be driver complications

I

iMe

Either way, us AMD owners wont be able to run OS X....ok, I'll stop crying now :eek:neye:

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMe said:
Either way, us AMD owners wont be able to run OS X....ok, I'll stop crying now :eek:neye:

just stick with the mac, it seams like they are going to do a wonderful job with it. I am staying mac even if I can get mac osX to work on my pcs.

S

swanny338

Well, from what I know, Mac OS X will not be able to run on anything but Apple's... DRM is going to be built directly into the chips and DRM will be linked to a specific OS

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah.. I am not really planning on installing os 10 on my pc's... although I bet it will be hacked to go on all x86 proccessors. Not that I am going to install it my x86 processors.

So what is going to be upgraded first? The powermac? Powerbook? Mac Mini?
I think it could be the powermac since they are already starting to give those out to developers, but the powerbook needs a change in proccessors and the pentium 4m is doing well in pc laptops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
they claim theyre supporting PPC for quite some time. Lets hope that isnt just 2 years. Illl quit complaining if theyll keep us G5 owners up to date for a good 5 years to come.

I

iMe

My guess is that the Mac Mini, iBook, eMac, and PowerBook will be first since their long due for updates...It Should be around 1-2 years. Then the iMac, and PowerMacs will be last. So in reality, G5 owners will have around 3-4 years before upgrading, while G4 owners could only have 1-2/possibly 3 years left.

Just my theory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I was all in a huge raving rant when I first heard of Apple's switch, but after the keynote speach, I'm really excited! And, I'm really lookin forward to see what leopard will bring!

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rs2sensen said:
I was all in a huge raving rant when I first heard of Apple's switch, but after the keynote speach, I'm really excited! And, I'm really lookin forward to see what leopard will bring!

I second that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
i was dissapointed when i first heard of the switch, but like some other people have done i went to the apple website and watched the keynote. As much as i would like to to be able to install OSX on "any old" x86 peecee i WILL NOT. I believe that apple will continue to stricktly control the hardware that OSX will run on and i think that is a good thing. I can't wait to see what comes from this move to x86.

I am not "up to date" with all the intel stuff so i have a couple questions. Is the a 64 bit processor by intel now?? ( i think the is not but i am not for certain)

I see apple updating the mini, ibook, and eMac first. Then the Powerbook, iMac, and Powermac.

I think they will do the lower cost ones first so that intel has time to develope a good 64 bit processor for the iMac and PowerMac.

I was pretty surprised at how well Rosetta (i think i spelled it wrong lol) ran on the intel. Now if VPC could run that fast on a PowerPC :) (hey i can dream lol)

I am very excited to see what comes out of leopard!!

Well, thats my thoughts on the whole Keynote from WWDC

Reaction score
I watched it and came out with a sense of relief, and I'm no computerwiz!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
prostuff1 said:
I was pretty surprised at how well Rosetta (i think i spelled it wrong lol) ran on the intel. Now if VPC could run that fast on a PowerPC :) (hey i can dream lol)

I am very excited to see what comes out of leopard!!

I second that! Rosetta (u spelled it right) is a very exciting technology, and Leopard, which at first didn't seem like a very good cat name to use, but is growing on me, is something I am very excited about seeing more of!

Apple is going to continue to peck at M$. The fact that they are coinciding the release of Leopard with Longhorn makes that very obvious.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is "M$" microsoft? lol sorry for not knowing what that is.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Yes M$ is equal to Microsoft. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I don't feel so bad about the intel processors after watching the keynote.:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.2 GHz G4 iBook, 768 MB RAM
Im confused.

So os X can, cannot, or will be able to be loaded into PC's running intel's and amd processors?

Is it going to be like apple's first transition where they just switched out the processor and left apple and pc's hardware as separate entities?

so basically my main question is, would all newer computers in the world have the choice to either run windows or mac os?

sorry if i sound dense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
There will be 0 compatibility with AMD and the only Intel processors that will work are the processors built into the Mac computers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.2 GHz G4 iBook, 768 MB RAM
whew. okay cool...i feel better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.