Mac Pro graphics card compatibility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8 GHz, 2 GB Ram
Hi all,

Recently, the stock NVIDIA 8800 in my (early 2008) Mac Pro broke, and I am now considering replacements.

I am looking the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 Graphics Upgrade Kit for the time being.

My question is, despite it stating that this card is for the 2009 Mac Pro, will it work with my 2008? There are several user comments on the Apple store stating that it does, but I just wanted a little more information and perhaps confirmation before I drop the cash. Thanks very much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Everything I've read so far states that the card will work in your 2008 Mac Pro. However, the true test will be when you actually pop it in your machine and boot up. O:)

But, to be safe, I would purchase it from a seller whose return policy allows for a refund or exchange - just in case.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8 GHz, 2 GB Ram
Thanks for your advice! If I buy the graphics card from the official Apple online store, do they have a return policy?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This is good to know. I have a 2008 Mac Pro with a card that I think is failing. It will not support dual monitors properly. Although the system is under Apple Care the card functioned when I called Apple. The GeForce that is in my system must be really popular. Last time I checked the eBay prices for that card (7200 I think) were ridiculous. This would be a cheaper solution.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for your advice! If I buy the graphics card from the official Apple online store, do they have a return policy?

Check out Apple's return and refund policy here.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.