Rumour Telstra and Optus will sell ipads on Australian launch date.

Reaction score
If they have a monthly plan and you get it for "free", I may actually get the 3G model.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well you can get the 3G model and just use wi-fi mode till a resonably priced 3G service comes around. But if you get the wi-fi only and a 3G services comes leter you can't use it.

Reaction score
Well you can get the 3G model and just use wi-fi mode till a resonably priced 3G service comes around. But if you get the wi-fi only and a 3G services comes leter you can't use it.
The problem with the 3G models is they're $125 US. The cheap Wi-Fi model that should be $540 if we're going by current exchange rates will probably be $660. I won't be surprised if the 3G model is around $900 which IMO is simply too much.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree. I'd want to get a 3g ipad just cause I can, even though I'm more a wi-fi person. But if it's $900 here which as you pointed out it very well could be, then I'm out. I just think as you do that $900 is way to much for an ipad.

$900 is half or more (depending on which imac you want) towards an imac. So I think we will see if Apple know what affordably priced is or if they just say it and have no concept of the real meaning there. May 10 we will all know.

Reaction score
Somewhat disappointing, but hardly surprising given rumours say they might not even be allowed to sell them.

Reaction score
I agree.
$900 is half or more (depending on which imac you want) towards an imac. So I think we will see if Apple know what affordably priced is or if they just say it and have no concept of the real meaning there. May 10 we will all know.

Apple has always employed a premium pricing strategy. So I don't see them revising this strategy given the increasing popularity and demand of the ipad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.