Got my i5 15 inch macbook pro, how to best use battery?

Reaction score
Hey, i got my Macbook yesterday, this is my first mac and i was reading in the manual that if you don't intend to use the Macbook for a few days then to turn it off.
So overnight is it better for the battery to put the Mac to sleep or to shut down? My common sense would have told me shutdown but i don't know ...
Also when i use the mac on my table most the time, is it better to have it plugged into the mains even when it is 100% or keep letting it discharge and charge again.

Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
There have been countless (literally) threads on this forum discussing the best practices when it comes to battery use. If you're keeping on a desk most of the time, you can keep your battery cycles down by leaving it plugged in all the time. If you feel better about it, turn it off at night, but if it's always going to be plugged in, it's not that big a difference.

The best advice I've heard in pretty much all of the discussions of this: Don't worry about it. Under normal use, the battery should outlast the computer. If you're conscientious about it (and it sounds like you plan on being just that), you shouldn't have a single problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have you checked the apple support area for your model to see what they recommend?
That might be a good start.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, yeah il ask the Apple guys next time i go there. And for the time being il just let is charge and discharge as it is new and i should make the battery work for a bit xD

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Do not ask the Apple "guys" in the store. They've got as many varied opinions as the man on the street. You've got the best answers above and sorry, but neither of them included asking someone else.

You can also read this.

Use your computer the way you need to use it and use the above as a guideline for maintenance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.