Activated Mail...wish I hadn't-Please Help!

Reaction score
I activated my Mail account yesterday and thought it was great until I saw that it used up 3 GB of my hard drive space after I had done this. I'm assuming it's due to importing all my emails and attachments from my Gmail account. How can I undo all of this safely and get my Mac and my memory space back to what it was before I activated this yesterday? I'd rather not use mail now that I see it is storing everything on my hard drive and taking up so much space.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When you setup your account info, you should've set it up to use IMAP as opposed to POP. With IMAP, the mail should stay on GMail and you will get a view to it. With POP, the mail is downloaded to your Mac and if you don't specifically tell it to leave the messages on the server, it will delete it from GMail..

Regards

OP
A
Reaction score
It is set up the IMAP way. At this point I would just like to uninstall it and get back my 3 GB of memory space. How can I undo the installation and erase off all the information it downloaded?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
As for POP or IMAP, between your Mail app and Gmail settings, you have total control over this, but anyway.....
In your mail preferences select the account and click the minus tab.
If you haven't got your space back then, go to user/library/mail, and delete away any of the emails for that account.

OP
A
Reaction score
As for POP or IMAP, between your Mail app and Gmail settings, you have total control over this, but anyway.....
In your mail preferences select the account and click the minus tab.
If you haven't got your space back then, go to user/library/mail, and delete away any of the emails for that account.

6string, thanks very much. That worked. :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Also, if you're worried about 3GB of space, it's really time to upgrade your drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.