is it ok to leave the power adapter plugged in?

Reaction score
Is it ok to leave the power adapter/charger plugged into the wall while disconnected from the computer?

I have done this for some time now with 3 Macbook 13" adapters and one seems to have failed. If you want the gruesome details it happened like this. I first noticed the little green/amber light on the magsafe would quiver, but it would charge. Then it started giving me a "not charging" message in that bar-at-the-top-of-the-screen-which-I-know-has-a-name. It would also get pretty hot but it seemed to have been doing that for a while.

Have you had good service from the refurbished adapters? I personally an disappointed with the apparent quality control issues for these things. I have very cheap adapters for an almost infinite number of gadgets which cost nothing like $80 which last forever.

TIA for any feedback or information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I leave mine plugged in the first MBP for almost four years no problems the second one
six month old no problem as for aftermarket you might want to review some horror stories on here and other forums with some cheaply made units as expensive as Mac's are would you trust plugging in an aftermarket power supply. You might try taking the
defective Apple one back to see if they can help you might be surprised at what they have
done for some of their customers.

Reaction score
I always leave mine on all the time, with a few exceptions if I am travelling and not taking the macbook with me. Right now I am on my third magsafe power adapter. I can't tell if there is any correlation with leaving the magsafe all connected and premature failure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Yes, it's okay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.