Mac book reinstall failing?

Reaction score
Hiya, i have a macbook with OSX 10.4.9 and i was supposed to sell it today, i wanted to reinstall factory settings (erase & install) but by the time i get to disc 2 it fails, the screen goes black and when i hit the space bar to bring the screen back it says its failed, ejects the disc and asks me to reinsert disc 2, but it fails everytime.

Im pretty annoyed as i was supposed to sell it today and now im probly gonna have to go buy apple care & what not...

Id really appreciate some help with this

Thanks

OP
C
Reaction score
Erase & Install Failing?

When i try to erase & install it goes to 100% on the second disc, the screen goes black, i hit the space bar & the screen comes back saying installation faled & to insert disc 2... it does this over & over.

If i switch the macbook off & back on it comes up with the same screen asking for disc 2 again

I basically think i need a new installation 'disc 2', does this mean i have to go to a store & buy apple care?

I was supposed to sell my macbook today & i need the cash badly, so this is very annoying ;)

Id really appreciate any help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Do you have a time machine backup, or a bootable clone?
Is 10.4.9 on the MB? How old is this MB? ....What do you mean buy apple care for it?
What Version of OS X install discs are you using, and are they the discs that came with that Mac, or are they retail version install discs?

OP
C
Reaction score
They are the install discs that came with the macbook, the macbooks a few years old, around 2/3 years

I mean buy apple care as in if i goto a store to get a replacement install disc are they gonna make me buy apple care for it, seeing as its 3 years old the warranty must be out of date?

I wish i could just not bother doing the erase & reinstall now but there no options to go back...
Not sure what you mean by time machine backup or bootable clone...so probably not

Thanks anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Too late to buy apple care.... you only have within the 12month warranty period to purchase Applecare.
So you don't have the time machine backup or clone then?

Have you tried booting off the install disc, repairing the disk, zeroing out the drive, and then attempting to reinstall again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it is because the discs are damaged, the cheapest way to get new discs would be to spend $30 and get Snow Leopard.

OP
C
Reaction score
Im just doing erase & install and im on the second disc, everytime i switch the macbook on it asks for the second disc, theres no other options to do anything unfortunately

Unless theres a key i should hold down when switching the mac back on to boot off the install disc?

If it is because the discs are damaged, the cheapest way to get new discs would be to spend $30 and get Snow Leopard.

Is that the latest OS?
Does it come with the garage band programs etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, make sure that both discs are clean!

Hold down C when booting as soon as you hear the chime.
Select language, then go to utilities/disk utility in the menu bar.
To repair disk is straight forward, and zero out you need to click advanced when you select the erase tab, and just use the first option to zero out one pass (this will take a little while, so make yourself a coffee while this happens).
Once done, quit utilities and continue with installation.

If this fails, and you don't have a backup, then you'll need to get yourself Snow Leopard and hope for the best.

Otherwise, if you go to a Apple genius bar with your Mac and discs, and get them at a really quiet time, and tell them that you wanted to sell your Mac and explain what happened, and if you get a nice enough person, maybe they can sort it out for free for you.

No promises, but its been known to happen!

OP
C
Reaction score
I will probly just buy snow leopard, but still when i switch the macbook on it asks for disc 2... unless inserting the new snow leopard disc will make it do something...

I dont even get a chime when switching on, it just goes straight to the screen asking me to insert disc 2, appreciate the help dude

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To boot off the disc, with disc one already in, did you hold down and keep holding down C when you heard the chime?

In other words, insert disc one, shut down, and use the above procedure!

You can also do the same holding option, but it shouldn't make a difference!

OP
C
Reaction score
You'll never beleive this (or maybe you will) after the 10-20th attempt, it finally installed!

I really appreciate the help anyway dude, people like you save people from ripping all their hair out & going bald, nuff respect ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad it's sorted :)
It's people like me that pull my own hair out trying to save other people :D
Let this be a reminder to get in the practice of regular time machine backups, and bootable clones with Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Edit
Duplicate thread merged :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: merged duplicate threads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.