Looking @ a mini, few questions.

J

Jammin

Hi there,

Im new to these forums.

Im looking to buying a mac - min within the next few weeks and have a few questions. Im currently running XP and Slackware on my box and laptop, respectivly so have some UNIX based experience. Right:

1)I have read the 1.25 GHz mini's ship with a 5,400 rpm hdd and the 1.42 GHz one with a 4,500. Some places say this, some dont. What is the truth??

2)Does X-Code have a perl highlighter (included or module) ?

3)Are all the development tools in tiger included in just bought, brand spanking install? or does one have to re-install tiger with development tools?

Thanks much,

Jammin

Reaction score
The development tools don't come on the system but you can get them from Apple for free, it doesn't require re-installing the OS to install them.

Everything I have heard says 1.25ghz came with a 5400rpm drive while the 1.42 came with a 4200rpm drive.

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

Ummmm - I thought I saw somewhere in a Mini review (MacWorld - MacAddict) that the 1.45 also came with a 5400rpm - but can't find it handy

My 1.4Ghz mini w 512MB is very snappy - no issues here

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Jammin said:
Hi there,

Im new to these forums.

Im looking to buying a mac - min within the next few weeks and have a few questions. Im currently running XP and Slackware on my box and laptop, respectivly so have some UNIX based experience. Right:

1)I have read the 1.25 GHz mini's ship with a 5,400 rpm hdd and the 1.42 GHz one with a 4,500. Some places say this, some dont. What is the truth??

2)Does X-Code have a perl highlighter (included or module) ?

3)Are all the development tools in tiger included in just bought, brand spanking install? or does one have to re-install tiger with development tools?

Thanks much,

Jammin

1) The 80Gb model is 4200 rpm, the 40Gb is 5400.

2) What do you mean by highlighter? Are you referring to a Perl aware editor? If so and XCode isn't Perl aware you can use eMacs

3) The Developer tools are copied onto the machine as part of the install process but you then have to actually install them if you want to use them (i.e all you get is an installer package initially).

Amen-Moses

OP
J

Jammin

Thanks for the replies guys.

Strange that the 40gB is 5,400 and the 80gB is 4,500. Im not too woried about it, especially for the price of the mini.

Im 100% a mac virgin, and did not even think about emacs. Yes I did mean a perl aware editor, im a n00b(ish) programmer hence my poor terminology.

Thanks again. Looks like it is the 1.42, 80gB with 512 RAM for me. Cant wait. :)

OP
D

djmitch

Jammin said:
Looks like it is the 1.42, 80gB with 512 RAM for me. Cant wait.
Go for 1GB RAM, if you can afford it. I've read numerous posts about how it's noticeably better than 512MB - I don't know for certain, however, because I've only ever had 1GB. Besides, why not max it out now as opposed to wishing you could max it out later?

It's quite expensive if its Apple RAM (although there was a recent price drop), but you don't void the warranty. If you can install it yourself (much cheaper), apparently you won't void the warrantly unless you break something in the process! Just some thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+
djmitch said:
Go for 1GB RAM, if you can afford it. I've read numerous posts about how it's noticeably better than 512MB - I don't know for certain, however, because I've only ever had 1GB. Besides, why not max it out now as opposed to wishing you could max it out later?

It's quite expensive if its Apple RAM (although there was a recent price drop), but you don't void the warranty. If you can install it yourself (much cheaper), apparently you won't void the warrantly unless you break something in the process! Just some thoughts.

I'm going with the 1.2GHz...

I guess it make sense to go with 1GB, why waste time/money later. The downside is my AEM V2 for my RSX will have to wait :D

OP
K

Kokopelli

I would go with the 256MB and upgrade the memory yourself, it will save you a significant amount of money.

SubEthaEdit is Perl aware by the way and free for non-commercial use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.