Question about Boot Camp Drivers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
I have installed Vista on my last Macbook, so I am totally familiar with Boot Camp and how to do it(just this time XP). So thing is... This Macbook has Snow Leopard and didn't come with the disks when I got it. However, I did get the original Leopard disk that came with the Macbook. Even though the instructions say I since I have 10.6, I need the 10.6 disks; would the original Leopard CD be good enough to take care of the drivers?

Edit: 10 hours and nothing on what seems to me like a fairly simple question? Im half tempted to run the 10.5 disk anyways and just manually update drivers. Apple isn't exactly specific, but it seems you only need the Snow Leopard disk for boot camp drivers under Windows 7. So I guess I'll go on and go with it; worst case scenario I've been wanting to step down from Snow Leopard anyways.

Reaction score
I don't know the answer but very little harm can come of using the Leopard disc in Windows - worth a try I suppose. However, I'm not sure that the manual update will be all that simple; having said that, my guess is that for XP it should be fine. Good luck and let us know what happens.

OP
iBeldar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I did some research and found that you really only need the Leopard disk for Windows 7 installs. All was going well with the install, however the multi-user license key my aunt sent me was invalid. So I had to hard-reboot and delete the partition.

No big deal to keep using my desktop PC though. I just wish there was a way to check if a license is activated/valid before you install. lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Edit: 10 hours and nothing on what seems to me like a fairly simple question?

Sometimes you need to be patient...FREE HELP sometimes takes time!

Start offering $$$ for help with your questions...and answers will come a lot faster!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, I did some research and found that you really only need the Leopard disk for Windows 7 installs. All was going well with the install, however the multi-user license key my aunt sent me was invalid. So I had to hard-reboot and delete the partition.

No big deal to keep using my desktop PC though. I just wish there was a way to check if a license is activated/valid before you install. lol

The Leopard DVD does not have all the necessary drivers for Windows 7 as it only comes with Boot Camp 2.X. Windows 7 requires Boot Camp 3.0 and actually 3.1 for some newer hardware. Yes, you can install Windows 7 and use the Leopard disk for some drivers, but you may have problems.

BTW, multi-user keys for Windows are for corporate and special use. They can't be used as a single license key. As you found out, it wouldn't activate.

Regards.

OP
iBeldar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Leopard DVD does not have all the necessary drivers for Windows 7 as it only comes with Boot Camp 2.X. Windows 7 requires Boot Camp 3.0 and actually 3.1 for some newer hardware. Yes, you can install Windows 7 and use the Leopard disk for some drivers, but you may have problems.

BTW, multi-user keys for Windows are for corporate and special use. They can't be used as a single license key. As you found out, it wouldn't activate.

Regards.

1- I was installing XP; I meant to say Snow Leopard in the post you quoted.
2- Yea, sorry. I am EXTREMELY impatient, as much as I hate to admit it.
3- I think the only reason it didn't activate was because I wasn't using the corporate disk the license belonged to; just a random, single license XP Pro CD with SP2 slipped into it. Next time, I'll get the corporate disk from my uncle and slip SP2 into it and it should do the job.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.