• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

How soon will OS X be hacked into being usable by windows user?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
I say no later then a week after the first MacIntel is released for sale. All that needs to be done is port Mac On Linux to x86. Google it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Pretty quickly, but I imagine there will be major driver issues. One wonders if this isn't the begining of Apple ending up as just a software company like MS. (Plus iPods).

OP
C

Cloudane

I imagine it will be slightly more involved than just porting MoL. But either way, I think it'll be done within a week or two of the developer platform being shipped (which is happening about now)

Obviously, the x86 version of Tiger from the developer pack will be on bittorrent before you can say 'lawsuit'

Reaction score
It won't be nearly as simple, or even able to have it run natively. Intel's new drm security, i think was desgned for this purpose. the Mactels will have such security in place to hard code OS X support into the hardware, as other PC Boses will not, although it will be possible to run windows and linux on a Mactel, I think its time for the rise of the mac.

OP
E

Echo_

Screwball6986 said:
It won't be nearly as simple, or even able to have it run natively. Intel's new drm security, i think was desgned for this purpose. the Mactels will have such security in place to hard code OS X support into the hardware, as other PC Boses will not, although it will be possible to run windows and linux on a Mactel, I think its time for the rise of the mac.

i can already run an emulated version on my comp so im sure it wont be that hard....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No joke, I run Mac on Linux and Panther on my Pegasos now, its got nothing in it other then the G4 that a mac has. It wont be that hard to do it on a PC.

OP
J

jp_tix

Cloudane said:
Obviously, the x86 version of Tiger from the developer pack will be on bittorrent before you can say 'lawsuit'

This "developer pack" is given to ADC Premier members only.
A Premier membership costs $3500 per year, the transition kit costs $999, would you pay that and then risk a lawsuit by sharing the x86 version?
Didn't think so.

OP
C

Cloudane

Umm... wasn't that Tiger beta leak done by an ADC member, hence Apple was able to identify them?

I'm sure they'd find some way of anonymizing themselves before uploading a torrent this time.

I don't want it to happen any more than you do, but we have to be realistic... if the public get their hands on something, it'll be leaked - even if it's on CDR initially. Just like any form of DRM or other software/hardware locking will be cracked - it's the way of the world.

OP
K

Kokopelli

The developer pack is available to Select and Premier ADC members. Select membership is only $500 a year.

I am a Select Member but I am going to pass on the developer pack. $999 for a machine that I have to return at the end of 2006? No thank you. If they offered a $500 credit towards the purchase of an x86 Mac upon return I would consider it, but as it is it would effectively be pissing money away. It is not even a lease so not tax write off.

Most work I do for Mac is either pure Java or Cocoa. I do a little Carbon as needed but not that much. Further nothing I do has alitvec optimizations or otherwise is likely to be complex to port so I will make do with XCode 2.1.

Someone will leak it but it will not be me.

EDIT:
<RANT> This may sound cruel and unreasonable but when (not if) it is leaked I hope Apple traces it back to the origin and nails him to the wall. Sue him into an oblivion that he will never dig himself out of. There is no way you can tell me that after all the publicity from the last fiasco that any developer who would have access to this kind of release would not be aware of what Apple does and does not allow with developer releases.
</RANT>

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

IMO, Apple has thought about this for 5 yrs... I belive they are smarter than we are giving them credit for... Apple knows if they where to become a software company like microsot they would be blown out the water ( not becasue there software isnt the best its the fact that why would the average user swith to a new OS )
So i belive with apple and intel together running os x on a normal non apple/intel machine will be nearly if not impossible...
So back to the story What if the intel version of OS X gets leaked. I belive it would almost be useless to the general pubic.

Another thought.... Have they even told us the chip artecture that would be going in the new machine.. to the best of my knowing they havnt...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just keep in mind that the same people saying OS X cant ever run on a "normal" PC are the same that said Apple would never switch to Intel before the keynote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
xthisisRomancex said:
Another thought.... Have they even told us the chip artecture that would be going in the new machine.. to the best of my knowing they havnt...

I saw an Intel quote somewhere that categorically confirmed that it would be x86 processors that they will produce for Apple...I can dig up a link if you must see it.

OP
D

dirtydog

It is definitely x86 because Apple said Windows would run on the new Intel Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
To be honest, I'm more worried about windows running on the new macs than I am about OSX running on windows computers. I don't forsee a lot of people running OSX on their windows PCs.

And to me, it defeats the purpose of buying a mac: "I'll buy this mac with an intel chip... it can run windows...? Or I can just save money and buy a PC..."

Don't most mac users like macs and OS X because it's something different and better (read: separate) than windows??

I guess what I'm asking here is: What is the advantage of having a macintosh under x86 architecture that can dual boot windows? Even as a cross-platform user, I don't see it...

OP
E

Echo_

for those that have programs on windows xp but still want a mac?
seems obvious to me

but yes it will be hacked into a form for all pc users its impossible for it not to be
so what they had 5 years to plan for this
i can already use their os for powerpc proc on my x86

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
OP
C

Cloudane

iLEFTOVERCRACK said:
who cares?

What a constructive comment
biggrin.gif

Several people care. The future of Mac is at stake here... if people use either the hardware or the software for the wrong/unintended reasons, Microsoft will just trounce all over it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.