Renaming computer dangers?

Reaction score
What can go wrong with renaming your computer (System Preferences>Sharing)? I'm NOT talking about the short name - that's a whole other set of issues. But for example, I use Sandvox for my web site and it seems like since I changed the name (Apple named it "test" because my hard drive bit it and upon reinstalling the OS they just gave the computer a name - although I was fortunate enough to get it replaced for free even beyond warranty "due to a range of hard drives not performing up to Apple standards", it doesn't show media that I've put in there. BTW, I went to the Apple Store to ask them about renaming my computer because I had seen some things come up as "test" and the guy didn't mention any problems this might create. Other issues that this will cause?

KJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
You mean changing your system's hostname? It won't matter one bit to anything. You're safe if that's what you mean! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.