Finding Files

Reaction score
I am trying to find files on mac. It was really easy on the pc. I tried using file finder on mac 10.6. I go and select the directory I want to search and then I enter my criteria for the search and it doesn't look in the directory I provide. I don't know where it is looking. It is a little confusing.

Can someone help me file a file like abc.doc in a directory like mydocs on my mac ?
Any suggestions for software that make it easier to find files. I have tried a few and they weren't that great. I am missing my PC. I thought that Mac was supposed to be so user friendly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
When you are in a Finder folder and you open the folder you want to search in which in this case looks like your Documents folder go to top right search area and type in the file you want which in this case is abc.doc.

As default your Mac will search your whole computer but if you want to just search in that folder there is a gray bar were it says Search:. You want to click on the "Documents" selection. You will see the "This Mac" circled in dark gray meaning that it's searching your whole computer. Click on the "Documents" selection or whatever the folder you want to search in is called. It will now filter your search in that folder only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Its actually wayyy easier on a mac. Your mistake was trying to find software to find your files. You already have the best software, called FINDER (why do you think it's named so??). Adding to the post above, you can hit the little magnifying glass in the very top right of the screen. This is called spotlight. Type abc.doc and you have your file. Simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
troll?

I am trying to find files on mac. It was really easy on the pc. I tried using file finder on mac 10.6.

Is that something new to SL or just bad terminology. (I'm still holding out.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
It's software you can download to 'help' you find files. But it's completely useless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
FWIW - for file finding I much prefer the Cmd-F function from desktop, or almost anywhere actually. Yes, it's using the Finder (the F word :eek:), and it does a more thorough job than Spotlight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks
When you open the Finder window, there should be a sidebar that highlights the main things you want to regularly access like Documents, Pictures, Music, Movies, etc. If you know where you saved stuff, you should have no trouble finding it.

Also, you can scroll to the top right corner of the screen and click on the magnifying glass image which is Spotlight and type in what you are looking for. When you scroll down to it and hold your mouse over it, it will show you the file directory in which it is saved. You can just click on it to open it.

Finder is really a great app that will help you find anything you're looking for. You can even access it without a mouse my pressing Command + Tab until the Finder icon pops up, and then you can press Command + N to pull up a new Finder window.

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.