Help with Screen Saver / Energy Saver stuff?

Reaction score
1. Right now I have my Macbook setup wirelessly to allow an ethernet cable ran from it to my 360 to play online. The screen has to be opened to keep the internet going. If it goes to sleep, I will lose the signal, and be logged out of live. What settings do I need to allow it to not sleep after being idle for so long? And can I keep it from going to sleep, but still allow the screen saver to come on? Basically I need to know how to set it up to keep receiving the signal without going to sleep.

C

chas_m

As I understand you, what you mean is that you have wireless internet (a home wifi network) and have turned on "internet sharing" using Ethernet to allow your XBox to also have internet.

Under this setup, your Mac can't go to sleep or the connection will be cut off.

If that's correct, then you just want Energy Saver's setting to disallow hard drive sleep (set to never), but the screen can be set to sleep. I personally wouldn't bother running a screensaver, just let the screen go black.

OP
S
Reaction score
As I understand you, what you mean is that you have wireless internet (a home wifi network) and have turned on "internet sharing" using Ethernet to allow your XBox to also have internet.

Under this setup, your Mac can't go to sleep or the connection will be cut off.

If that's correct, then you just want Energy Saver's setting to disallow hard drive sleep (set to never), but the screen can be set to sleep. I personally wouldn't bother running a screensaver, just let the screen go black.

So I shouldn't have to mess with it at all? I do have internet sharing turned on.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So I shouldn't have to mess with it at all? I do have internet sharing turned on.

Think you missed this part?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.