Unable to load Tomcat on boot

Reaction score
I am trying to get Tomcat to start on my mac osx system when the machine boots. I have googled for an answer and the solution seems to lie somewhere in the plist world. But I cannot get it to load on startup.

I have followed several sites (3 or 4) that have given explicit directions as to what to do. One site wanted me to install Confluence and create a script to load Tomcat when the machine starts. But that fails when trying to create a log file (no permissions -but I do not know what is trying to create the file so I cannot grant permissions to it). Then I found that Confluence itself needs to be set to load on startup so that it can load tomcat on startup. OK, scratch confluence, too involved and too much crap to load on startup.

Next, create a plist for org.apache.tomcat and a small script and everything will be right with the world. OK, created the plist per the docs, using vi. It did not work, then I saw another post that said plist files are supposed to be binary files, sooo, use plutil to convert the text plist to a binary plist. It still does not load on startup. I do not know where to look for error messages, so I do not know why this is not starting up.

Then there was another thread that said to create shell scripts in the startupitems folder, but I believe that this folder and the items in it are defunct and should be shunned, so I have now shunned it (after not getting that to work either).

Does anyone know/have a link as to how to get Tomcat to start when the machine boots up. I am new to a Mac and when I see links to set this stuff up I do not know if they are for older versions and, hence, obsolete, or not.

My org.apache.tomcat.plist file

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>Disabled</key>
        <false/>
        <key>EnvironmentVariables</key>
        <dict>
                <key>CATALINA_HOME</key>
                <string>/Tomcat</string>
                <key>JAVA_HOME</key>
                <string>/Library/Java/Home</string>
        </dict>
        <key>Label</key>
        <string>com.apache.tomcat</string>
        <key>ProgramArguments</key>
        <array>
                <string>/Tomcat/bin/startup.sh</string>
        </array>
        <key>RunAtLoad</key>
        <true/>
</dict>
</plist>
TIA

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.