Wierd connection issues via the Ethernet

Reaction score
I have encountered permanent Ethernet connection issues since the last OS update. Actually, it is a very odd one.
I can connect to the internet via the Wireless without a problem but as soon as I disable Airport and hardwire my MBP to the router, the internet stops working. I have run the network Diagnostic several times and all the light are green.. The MBP seems to find the internet address but doesn't display the page contents.
I have tried 3 different ethernet cables and I always end up with the same result.
Thinking that my hardware might be at fault, I have brought my MBP to work and hardwired it to the network. It worked straight away... . That excluded hardware failure straight away.
I have tried to reset my Router (Netgear DGN2000) several times, check IP addresses, reset DNS or enter it manually.. nothing works.
Has anybody else experienced the same issue and sorted it out ?

Thank you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
With what you've already tried, sounds like a failed router.

OP
F
Reaction score
I failed to mention that the router works fine when hardwired to my wife's laptop..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 5,1 - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
Are you using DHCP or fixed IP?
My MBP doesn't like fixed IPs.:Grimmace:
Cheers,
M-TomTom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
but as soon as I disable Airport and hardwire my MBP to the router,
Is the modem or modem/router also doing the wireless network? More info on how your LAN is set up would help. Less guessing by us then.

OP
F
Reaction score
My DGN2000 router is using DHCP and yes, the router modem does the wireless network as well.
herewith is my LAN setup

LAN TCP/IP Setup

IP Address ...198.162.0.1
IP Subnet Mask ...255.255.255.0
RIP Direction NONE
RIP Version RIP-1
Access Router Management Interface on additional port
(NAT-disabled mode only)

Use Router as DHCP Server Tick, yes
Starting IP Address ...192.168..0.2
Ending IP Address ...192.168.0.254

No address reservation

Cheers,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My DGN2000 router is using DHCP and yes, the router modem does the wireless network as well.
Is all that line referring to the DGN2000? That is the only unit between the service and the MBP?
Have you checked the settings/digits are the same in both these areas?

Click for full size

OP
F
Reaction score
Yes, all the line refers to the Netgear DGN2000 and yes, that is the only unit btw the service and my MBP.

I have checked both settings. They are both identical.

I am pretty sure that something has changed since the last OS update and I can't put my finger on it :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK then try the Combo updater see if that sorts it. If u had told what OS u r on then i could have provided a link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Macbook Pro 17" - C2D 2.5 ghz - 4gb ram
Same Problem.... can't connect to thernet

I am having the same issue, I am wirelessly connected to my Apple Airport Express, which is routed from my netgear switch. My other laptop (PC) can connect no problem through ethernet, but when I plug it into my MBP, no internet. Airport works just fine.

I am running X.6.3 v1.1, my fiance is having the same issue with her MB, running OSX

Any clues? I have tried everything :-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 27" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 4Gb Ram|SL|Dual Band 1TB TC|AEX(n)|iPhone 4|iTouch 2G|160GB ATV|MBA
Fabinou - i have a DGN2000 setup on my test bench at the mo - what Netgear firmware are you running?

Does it issue an ip address (visible in airport and/or the router - under 'attached devices') when hardwired?

Assuming your MBP is the only device connected via ethernet at the time, what are the indicator lights at the front of the router showing?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.