Not sure if switching is right for me?

Reaction score
Hey everyone :)

The time has come for me to get a new computer as the current laptop is on it's last legs. I've been doing a bit of reading around and I'm considering getting a 21.5inch iMac ( the one up from the base model).

I've read a bit about the problems some people have with apple and flash and while I know this isn't a fault of apple it's hindering my decision.

The only things I use my computer for are the Internet and email but in that Internet usage is a lot of flash useage.

I'd hate to spend this money and buy a computer and not be able to use it for what I intend. I also find it hard to get a true perspective as most people only use forums etc to report the bad and not the good.

So if I buy an iMac am I going to have issues watching YouTube, shows on MTV.com, playing farmtown and games on cartoon network with the nieces etc?

Look forward to your advice :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Even though flash doesn't play nice with Macs, in general, if you have a descent internet connection, and a good recent enough system with plenty of Ram (which you will with your choice), you should have very few, if no problems.
Even with my late 07 2.2GHz C2D with 2GB RAM and an ADSL 2+ internet connection, 99% of the time I have no problems viewing flash, etc.
When things are congested on the net, I just let it buffer a little while before I watch. but this is usually on you tube's side of things, and nothing to do with Mac, Adobe, or my internet connection. As you've probably noticed, you tube's buffering time has been getting worse and worse lately, and no PC or Mac could change that.
In fact, the only times I've suffered is when the sites are congested!

Oh, and welcome to Mac Forums :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
With my 2.16Ghz Intel Mini with 2GB Ram and Snow Leopard, Flash videos play just fine. There is more CPU usage than on the Windows version of Flash, but the videos are very smooth and I usually select the highest resolution HD on newer You Tube videos and no issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I have personally noticed no problems with Flash on my iMac.

C

chas_m

The controversy over Flash has little bearing on a discussion of a desktop computer. The fact that an iMac has to "work" slightly harder to deliver Flash properly because Adobe are being retarded is definitely not a reason to ignore the million wonderful things an iMac will do for you.

You will have absolutely ZERO issues with any of the things you mention wanting to do with your machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The fact that an iMac has to "work" slightly harder to deliver Flash properly because Adobe are being retarded is definitely not a reason to ignore the million wonderful things an iMac will do for you.

Rather than retarded, "mentally challenged!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Same here. I do use Click to Flash in order to block ads, but I'd do that whether there was an "issue" or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Problem with Flash? News to me. No problems here.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've never had issues with Flash on either of my Macs. Yes, it is a resource hog and much more bloated than it should be, but it does work fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5 - Dual 2.0 - 6GB Ram
if you install the beta 10.1 of flash player it also runs well on older under powered machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S
I just made the switch and have no problems with youtube and watching things online

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.06 c2d, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
I made the switch to the same machine you're considering after 30 years of PC usage. I've had no problems.

You have to filter many on the complaints here as I'm sure many of those problems are caused by the users themselves.

Don't mess with perfection.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There's been a lot of hoopla around Flash and Apple..but that's mainly associated with the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad..not the desktops..

Flash is a resource hog in general, a little more so on Mac's, but throw enough horsepower at it, and it won't matter..

I used to be on a 1.83 Ghz Mac Mini and watching videos in Flash (especially HD) would put the CPU utilization at around 80-95%..I now have an i7 27" iMac and CPU utilization on similar videos gets up to about 15% combined..

So a 3.33 Ghz 21.5" iMac will have no issues with Flash..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Never had an issue, myself, and I regularly peruse youtube and newgrounds. Haven't checked the cpu usage, but it should be on par with that 80 percent business I keep hearing. Only issues I've ever had are the buffering issue at youtube, again, their problem, and the smashing pumpkins page, which I've noticed runs slow on my windows PC, as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Funny, I never noticed any problems with YouTube or other flash content, so I had no idea that it was supposed to be a problem until I started reading about it here.

I say get the iMac. It will definitely do everything you need it to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
I've often wondered about all the talk in these forums about flash not working, but I've never noticed a problem. If you don't notice a problem then apparently there is no problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Hey everyone :)

The time has come for me to get a new computer as the current laptop is on it's last legs. I've been doing a bit of reading around and I'm considering getting a 21.5inch iMac ( the one up from the base model).

I've read a bit about the problems some people have with apple and flash and while I know this isn't a fault of apple it's hindering my decision.

The only things I use my computer for are the Internet and email but in that Internet usage is a lot of flash useage.

I'd hate to spend this money and buy a computer and not be able to use it for what I intend. I also find it hard to get a true perspective as most people only use forums etc to report the bad and not the good.

So if I buy an iMac am I going to have issues watching YouTube, shows on MTV.com, playing farmtown and games on cartoon network with the nieces etc?

Look forward to your advice :)

Haha, don't worry about flash on your iMac :p - it'll play it fine. Nothing to worry about, just something for us to complain about. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.

I would have to concur...I have had NO issue with flash at all thus far. I am a switcher since last Christmas and have not had one issue. Well, I do have one issue....My Mac works...I still have a non-Mac laptop I have to deal with... :D

Trust me when I tell you, you will be MUCH happier with the switch, and you have already found an invaluable resource should you have any questions once you get it.

Good luck!

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you for all your comments :)

I don't know anyone who owns a Mac (they don't seem to be so common in NZ or around the people I know anyway) so a lot of what I've read has been online and in forums.

Forums are always hard because I know a lot of what is posted are problems people have and Joe Bloggs isn't going to come on to rave about how his Mac is problem free.

But in saying that I also want to make sure that it'll be fine for my purposes before purchasing as I tend to take what sales people say with a grain of salt :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Think about AppleCare!
... even though it burns a bit of a larger hole in the pocket, it is great to have that extra 2yrs warranty, and phone support! If you can't afford it now, you can purchase it any time before your warranty expires, but if your warranty expires, you miss out.

I didn't get AppleCare, and now after 29months of heavy use, finally I have my first problem.... a noisy trackpad button, which I would have replaced if I had purchased AppleCare.

In saying that though, the top case with the keyboard and trackpad (built in) would cost me less than the AppleCare would have, but not to say that something else couldn't have gone wrong, or might not go wrong within the next 7months! :)

Seeing that the iMac is a little more expensive than the MB, and not as user serviceable, I would encourage you to get Applecare.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.